Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I had a 93 tune on my L99 a long time ago. It really woke up the car, but it still couldn’t touch a stock LT1. I have no idea who is good for tuning these days. id like to know myself.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Guys, hi, who set up l99 on a caprice 94, for better performance or knows how to configure it programmatically??
I had a 93 tune on my L99 a long time ago. It really woke up the car, but it still couldn’t touch a stock LT1. I have no idea who is good for tuning these days. id like to know myself.
Anyone who knows how to tune an iron block LT1 car, knows how to tune an iron block L99.

These days, the biggest problems tuning iron block LT1s & L99s all trace back to:
1a) cars that are over-worn and under-maintained
1b) weaknesses inherent to all LT1 & L99 cars such as thin brittle electrical wiring, and the Opti-spark
2a) owners with unrealistic expectations about what a tune can and cannot accomplish
2b) customers who are dumb enough to believe that the customer is ALWAYS right, no matter how wrong they are capable of being

Those are the main reasons why most tuners will not bother to tune iron block LT1s & L99s.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I have not done much with the LT1. I have tuned my own transmission settings and have the car doing all it can with what it has.

My personal opinion is OP would get a much better bang for the buck with a 3.73 axle.

Many small cars, mini vans, and suvs have more HP than the stock engine. With a 3.73 and better suspension most other drivers seem to have problems keeping up with my heavy near antique.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
A better handling performance-oriented suspension, and a 3.73 rear axle gear, are 2 of the 3 most important things that can be done to ANY LT1 car.
The 3rd is reprogramming the pcm.

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
3a) minuscule market quantity-wise from being in production but a brief span v. gens both before and after
3b) greatest production slapped into rapidly vaporizing platforms of RWD body-on-frame fullsize sedans and wagons
3c) perfect (bad) timing of being in the wrong cars during C4C funny money feeding frenzy

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
It's a real tragedy and pity that the ultimate development of the Chevy SmallBlock - the 92-97 iron block LT1 V8, for those who stumble upon this thread from who knows where or when - wound up being the redheaded stepchild of aftermarket performance.

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
About a decade back I recall the same point made here comparing ours to the W big block 348-409-427. A grand experiment that was, and its flaws were valuable in the relatively bullet-proof next gen (Mark IVs???).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You joke, on site lt1pcmtuning man configures and lt and l99 and with reading reviews people write that machine has become responsive, I not believe that on forum there is no such people which could more-less align l99

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Technotronic,
you may wish to try a different translation technique? We are not joking about anything in this thread [yet].
On the other hand, we ARE having issues understanding your posts, which I suspect are originally Russian?

Anyway, yes, there are still a few mail-order tuners who are willing to improve the performance of your L99 Caprice - they are out there [as of this post], I assure you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Technotronic,
you may wish to try a different translation technique? We are not joking about anything in this thread [yet].
On the other hand, we ARE having issues understanding your posts, which I suspect are originally Russian?

Anyway, yes, there are still a few mail-order tuners who are willing to improve the performance of your L99 Caprice - they are out there [as of this post], I assure you.
Well Yes it is not strange I have a Russian in my profile

1 - 11 of 11 Posts