What follows is the original content of the thread lifted from
A great deal of the info here is still relevant, if dated. It never prevented noobs from asking questions that have been answered ad nauseam, so I chalked it up as a failure. To be clear, this post, and my final post in the original thread, were meant to be the framework for an FAQ.Cheavy said:Ladies & Gentlemen ... [email protected]$$ PERFORMANCE MODS!
These are the most basic, cost-effective Performance Modifications for well maintained '94-'96 B/D-Cars with L99-4.3Litre, or LT1-5.7Litre V8 engines, based on the collective experiences of the ImpalaSS Forum.
However, most also apply to B/D-cars as old as 1977, and many go even further back than that.
Note: Address the following areas in one Mod/Maintenance session to save time and money, so you can do more mods:
* Front Suspension
* Rear Differential
* Upper ValveTrain
[email protected]$$ GM Parts Sources
* Sam Smith: [email protected] Seth: [email protected] 702-798-8504
* Dal Slabaugh: [email protected] 800-362-9494
* Kevin 'k-dub'800-395-1440 no email yet
* Chris McCabe 800-447-2107 no email yet
* Sam Taylor [email protected] 877-726-8295
* Joe Adkins 918-272-1101 no email yet
Little Things that Mean a LOT
* Howard Rothstein's WhisperJet Headlight Harness <$200 or
* Gary's HeadLight Harness and Battery Cables $105 and $65 respectively - either will considerably improve stock headlights' performance
* T87 Cornering Lamps $??
* OverDriven Alternator Pulley $???
* 9C1 Downforce WiperWings $20
* [email protected]$$ Brake Cooling System $???
* PowerStop AR9501 & AR9502 Front 9C1 Rotors $126 Each - Special Order from PowerStop Use discount code PS531001
* 9C1-JA9 Brake Calipers Dal plus
* 9C1-JA9-D614A BrakePads $25 - $100
* TUV/DOT Approved Stainless Steel Brake Lines $100
* ATE Brake Fluid $25 in a can OR Valvoline Synthetic Brake Fluid & Easier to find in a bottle
* JL9 Rear Disc Brake Proportioning Valve $25
* JL9 Rear Disc Brake Metering Valve Mod !
* ???9C1-JA9 Brake Master Cylinder/Brake Booster??? Dal
* C5 Rear Brake Hardware Upgrade $???
* OverDriven Alternator + UnderDriven CrankShaft = UnderDriven PowerSteering and AC $???
* Power Performance MotorSports Extreme Duty FrontEnd Rebuild Kit $260
* Borgeson Steering Shaft $250
Handling & Ride
* 9C1 Body-to-Frame Bushings $75
* ZQ8 BumpStops $30
* Springs-to-Axle Bushings Delete !
* Summit Battery Trunk-Relocation Kit $50
* RightRearmost SpareTire Relocation $??
* Springs by B-body Performance $225
* Shock Dampers, by Bilstein or NAPA Gas Magnum or Monroe Severe Service <$300 for 4
* Rear Lower Control Arms, by BMR $160 or True Tech $250
* Front SwayBar, by B-body Performance $205 or H.O. $250 or BMR $150 or NPD $125
* Rear SwayBar, by B-body Performace $205 or H.O. $180
* Tires $50 - $?,???
* Meziere H2Opump $200
* >51% H2O : <49% Ethylene Glycol <$25 - 65% H2O freezes @ 0°F, but cools better than 50/50
* 160°F Thermostat by HyperTech $15 - $20
* 'Cooler' AirDamn $100 - or MIY for a lot less ... every few months
* ThrottleBody Coolant Bypass !
* V03 Electrical Cooling Fans Conversion $??? V08 Mech Fan Delete improves MpG, throttle response, releases at least 10HP & 20LbFt, enables use of superior SSRI3-type intakes for more potential gains
* ?KD1 Tranny Cooler Upgrades? $???
* TransGo Shift Kit $100
* TransGo Vacuum Modulator Kit $80
* Torque Converter Cooler Cover $60
NOTE: For maximum value, don't forget to rebuild your tranny, and buy and install a good lockup torque converter, while you're at it.
* Stock '96 Coil + Speartech's '96 LT1 Coil Kit or read this thread or this thread $25 + $??
PowerTrain Control Module
* PCM for Less by Bryan Herter $50 - $100 OBD1 ... $175 - $275 OBD2
* Combination MotorSports CM614/CM613 ValveSpring Kit $100 even ironheads require NO machining!
* Stamped 1.6 Rockers $5 each
* H-Pipe Exhaust CrossOver $50 - X-Pipes work better, but cost more to buy and install
* Turbo Mufflers by Summit $20 Each or Thrush $30 or Dynomax $40 or, 2.25" or 2.50" Straight Pipe $20
* 2.25" or 2.50" TailPipes - your choice of exit- and tip-style $25 - $50
* Check this out ... $215
* Auxiliary PCV Intake ThrottleBody De-Oiler $10
* PCV Condenser $30
* Drill Holes in your AirBox !
* PoorMan's Cold Air SS Intake Insualtion $10
* SSRI3/RAISS DIY KnockOff <$100 or CIA Intake $190 - $230 or The SSRI3 $300 or The RAISS $225
* MAF Sensor FlowScreen Delete ! - AFTER you've done all the other Intake Mods 1st
If you want or need to replace something that isn't a Performance Mod, it's probably a Maintenance Upgrade. See this topic's last reply.
See, also, Bryan Herter's wise counterpoint; 20th reply.
[ 06-02-2007, 01:38 AM: Message edited by: Cheavy, for the last time]