Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to upgrade the brake calipers and rotors, and I dont know of what kits are out there that I can afford to do... Looking to spend under 1200 bucks for the front... Is that possible? What are my options? Or should I save $ longer for the best.. As you can see in my Signature I want to do it right ! Any help will do. SSee ya, Race ya later

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i heard some guys use/reccomend the 9C1 brake components. that along with the stealth bolt. i guess the parts are a lil bigger.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Switching to 9C1 parts won't gain you anything other than thicker brake pads which will let you go longer between pad replacements. You're best bet for a cheap upgrade would be to get some quality rotors, pads, and do the combi bolt mod.

Other than that the next best thing would be to save up a bit more $$$ and go with the TCE setup.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>...9C1 parts won't gain you anything other than thicker brake pads which will let you go longer between pad replacements. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought that it was just the inside pad that was thicker to help resist boiling the fluid.

I agree though, to get a real jump in braking performance, TCE would be the way to go.

Upgrading to Autospecialty blank (undrilled/unslotted) rotors (do a search) would probably take you as far as you can go with the stock style setup.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As with all modifications, it depends what you are looking to do with your car. I am running the Baer GT front brake kit. I chose this kit because I wanted to have enough brakes to road race my car at an affordable price. The Baer kit uses a bigger rotor, which is the major thing you want to improve brake performance.

The standard kit cost is about $1,000 (at least it was when I bought it) and they work great! I also like that it uses C5 Corvette pads. These are available everywhere. Twice I have waited until the day before a road race to replace my pads. All of my local auto parts stores have them in stock.

The TCE kit is also a great kit and is reasonably priced. I would not hesitate to run a TCE kit. Plus TCE has a rear kit which would be nice. The Mov-it’s are great too, but a bit pricey.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
See what BAD ROD said.....given your cost criteria and for maximum improvement, get the Baer GT kit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.