Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 95 caprice wagon out today and for the first time since I bought it got stuck in a long traffic jam to and from where I was going. After about 10 min of stop and go the check engine comes on. I get where I was going and when I come back the light it is off. It comes on again on my way home in traffic. I get home shut the car off and find my scanner and its off when I restart the car. Anyways, it shows in the history EGR failure, or something to that wording. Is this anything to worry about or can I just ignore it? The car runs perfectly.

·
Registered
731 Posts
If the pcm is throwing code 32, something is up with the EGR system. Check the EGR valve by unhooking the vacuum line, and mashing the valve diaphram in, and putting your finger over the vacuum port. If the valve won't hold open, the valve is bad. Also, check the vacuum line running to the valve from the EGR solenoid. The biggest thing i notice when driving an egr equipped vehicle that has a bad valve, is a bogging/slight power loss up hills in OD, and bad spark knock when the pedal is mashed while the bogging is happening.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You got it, bad EGR. It makes no effort to hold when I press it and cover the vacuum port. Thanks for the help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts