Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everybody, I just went to reno,ca from sacramento,ca for hot august nights and on the way back home my check engine light turned on. Now that the light is on the first shift kicks really hard and then after not so bad, the shift is so hard it gives a quick jerk of the car on the first shift. Anybody know or have an idea of what the problem is. My first assumption is that its a problem with the tranny cause of the shifting and everything else seems fine. All help or suggestions appreciated, I took my car to autozone to pull codes but they dont do that anymore in california i guess. Oh yeah forgot to add this i also have something else thats got me a little lost, im getting a orange looking oil leaking out of the motor, somewhat up top looking from the top of the motor when you look from under the hood.

I have a 1996 impala ss.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The orange fluid is probably dexa cool, aka anti-freeze leaking from somewhere, the hard shifting could be the result of the CEL going into the safe mode which increases line pressure and a resulting firmer shift. You'll need to pull the code first before you can proceed with the troubleshooting.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
If the low coolant light is on, it will enter a driveline saving mode and cause hard and delayed upshifts. As in it will not allow full throttle (kickdown mode, anything more than 93% throttle) until you let the pedal up (drop back below 89%) then it upshifts. I'd also bet your cruise control also does not work.

Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.