Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've notticed that my check engine light only comes on when my fan turns on. I believe it is the fan on the passenger side under the hood. To the best of my knowledge from reading on the forum I believe this fan should only cut on when the engine reaches a certain temperature (correct me if wrong). Well problem with that is that it cuts on almost immediately after I start the car, then it rarely ever cuts off. The brief moments when it does, cel goes off, then not long after like less than aminute it cuts on and so does the cel. It sounds like a freaking helicopter is under my hood! How the helll do I cut that thing off or make it run the way it supposed to please? Being that if that fan was off my cel would be off too I should be happy id have no cel warning for anything else right? Means aside from that the cars running good?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I believe the fan comes on because of the check engine light. Thats what mine did when I had an EGR problem. Any codes?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No idea ill have to ask a local member for input on that.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I believe the fan comes on because of the check engine light.
Correct. Certain trouble codes will not only trip the CEL, but also make the cooling fans run full time. Your car is also running in open loop under these conditions, so power and fuel economy also suffer. Get the codes pulled and fix the problem.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will a chevy dealership be able to pull codes? Any idea what that would run? I haven't been able to get to my local car club meets lately for any help so I might have to find a dealership closebye.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
If only a single fan is coming on when you start the car, is the AC on? Engine problems and CEL's will kick both fans on. Make sure HVAC controls are off to eliminate one fan running incidence.

As stated above get the code read and find out what it is, as stated as well several codes will make them both run to protect the motor, ECT and MAF come to mind off the top of my head, but others may as well.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Will a chevy dealership be able to pull codes? Any idea what that would run? I haven't been able to get to my local car club meets lately for any help so I might have to find a dealership closebye.
Go to autozone or advanced and have them pull the codes for you it is free, stealership will most likely charge you a service fee.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Last I checked most of the auto chains can't do OBDI anymore...they only have OBDII scanners.

Might be different in your area though..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts