Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
The problem with putting in an aftermarket double din in the fleetwoods is the depth of the new unit. The size of the width and height are good but the depth is shallow for an aftermarket unit. I think most units will protrude past the bezel half inch to an inch from the pictures I've seen on here. For a 1993-1995 year you'll need a harness, Metra 701856, to retain the OE amp, dimmer controls and retained power feature. I have not installed a replacement double din deck myself but I've had my OE out to assess the situation. Behind the unit are vents for the HVAC it seemed to me that I could heat them and push them in a little or just have the unit stick out and build a shroud for it.

Hope this helps you. Post up you're results.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another thing to add is won't you lose the dimming feature of the HVAC unit as the factory radio provides the PWM signal to dim that display?
Im not too worried about the dimming, as I hate how dark the displays get at dusk, almost impossible to see.

Thanks for the advise. I guess i'll have to just bite the bullit and make it work. I was just curious if there was a kit I would need to make the fit look right.

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I was trying to order a double din unit (just a receiver, no nav), and the guy said it won't fit in the car because there's only about 6" of depth. Does something need to be modified to make a double din fit, or should it just bolt right in?

Also, I had seen people post a link to installer.com for the harness at $48.50. Crutchfield said it would be like $20 w/ purchase of a deck.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
ORRRRR, I'm hearing that maybe some of the HVAC wiring is in the way and needs to be re-routed.

Anybody have more info? I'd really like to have an idea rather than find surprises...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts