Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been studying this mod for some time now and found out that the main problem wasn’t just an overlay that can easily be fitted on the gauge cluster but how to make the speedo display the correct reading without affecting VSS signal that’s going to the PCM.

After reading what other members had to say about this mod and their suggestions to how it might be done, I decided to just focus on modifying the odometer itself rather than playing with the generated signal at the sensor.

I already knew that I need to reduce the signal by %25 so that it could reflect the added 50mph to the new overlay. So I started hunting for a company that would manufacture a device that could reduce the incoming signal by the %25 we’re looking for. The biggest obstacle here was finding one that could do a small run and at the same time be cheap enough to be affordable to us.

After sending tens of E-mails to deferent companies I finally found one that looked promising. It’s a small electronic company located in Europe. After few E-mails explaining what I need, they sent me the first prototype device for testing (it’s half the size of a pack of cigarettes). I installed it (4 wires in total: negative, positive, original VSS signal-in, processed VSS signal-out) and took the SS for a spin, it worked flawlessly. Although I didn’t have a 200mph overlay, but it was clearly showing that it was off by %25 on the current face gauge compared with a GPS (Speed on gauge 30mph , speed on GPS 40mph)

At this point I shifted my attention to the 200mph overlay, I tried looking for any custom faces that I could find for the 93-96 Z28 gauge cluster. And I was especially interested in the ones that Fleetwood SS made, from the feedback that some posted on his thread, it was obvious that they were high quality designs. But that was four years ago, and none of the links and pics on those threads are still active. I E-mailed some members that were interested back then in the 200mph overlay hoping that they might have saved any pics on their hard drive, but with no luck. The only 200mph I saw was for the 97+ Z28 gauge clusters that were made by Granatelli (pic) although it was missing few numbers (90, 110, 130) but never the less it gave me an idea how it might look.

So I started looking for someone to design and produce a custom overlay. I made sure that my standards for the final product were high by insisting that it must equal or exceeds the stock gauge face in terms of functionality and looks. This was the only way I could rollout any low quality company and guarantee that I won’t have any illumination problems (low transparency issue) with the new overlay or none accurate speedo number printing. I E-mailed few companies and also some E-Bay sellers, finally was lucky enough to find one special company that can do the job. What made this company so special is that they are the same guys who designed and produced the Granatelli cluster face and also did all the faces for Dale Earnhart's Intimidator, SS Camaro and many other specialty faces.
The final product isn’t yet confirmed. But basically it’s going to look like the 97+ Z28 gauge face that they made for Granatelli but numbers at 20 mph increments and it will show thicker line at every 10 mph and thinner line for every 5 mph. I’m also interested in telling them to highlight the RPM range from 2800 – 4200 and call it “Power Band”.
I still didn’t confirm to both companies exactly how many I’m planning on ordering as I wanted to check if enough members are interested in getting a kit (This will be a huge factor on determining the final price).

I’m shooting for $120/- a kit, after all it’s just an appearance mod but I can’t promise anything yet before knowing "basically" how many are really interested in getting one.

So please tell me what you think?

Edit: I received few inquiries and one of them pointed out something I forgot to mention, because we modified the incoming VSS signal the odometer will not reflect the real mileage. It will always be less by %25.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why would anybody want a speedometer that reads up to 200mph, I doubt most of us even hit the 150mph on the Z28 cluster. Not bashing your idea at all, I own a Z28 kit and don't see spending $120 to get a 200mph overlay.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Mags94:
Why would anybody want a speedometer that reads up to 200mph, I doubt most of us even hit the 150mph on the Z28 cluster. Not bashing your idea at all, I own a Z28 kit and don't see spending $120 to get a 200mph overlay.
Some spend hundred of dollars just to put some color under the hood.
Some went with a bigger spoiler.
Some spend it on an intake system.
And one Gen---ius spend it on putting a twin turbo for a 11’s daily driver :D

Why did they do that???

Is it because of the wOW affect?
Is it because at some point some said it can’t be done?
Is it because its their ride and they can do what ever they want to it?

I want a speedo that can read up-to 200mph.

My reasons aren’t really that far from them, and I only started this post just to see if any members might feel the same way I do with this mod.

Anyway, thanks for looking and hope you would change your mind though

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can appreciate the "cool" factor, but my 9C1 has never seen more than 110 mph with me in the drivers seat so the 150 mph Z cluster is perfectly adequate.
It would be money better spent on something else for me. Did you try the Naisso board to drum up some interest?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sure put me on the list,maybe someday i will get my turbos and actually see the other side of 150. wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You DO know that you can change the scalar for just the speedo without effecting anything else right? A program is pretty easy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not to bash your idea, but im with the other guys, a 200mph speedo doesnt excite or interest me at all.

I would rather spend that money on exterior mods or stereo mods.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by ChevyPusha:
Not to bash your idea, but im with the other guys, a 200mph speedo doesnt excite or interest me at all.

I would rather spend that money on exterior mods or stereo mods.
I see your point, and thanks for the comment

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This VSS processor is going to be before the speedo ?

So if you do that aren't you going to screw up the odometer by the amount you change the VSS by?

It would seem to me you would have to go inside the speedo and alter the signal to just the speedo head and not the odometer.

Or start with a Metric 200 kilo speedo and factor the input to the complete unit by 1.61.
That way the face would just have to be changed so the metric numbers are identified as MPH.
Some reading HERE

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Due to certain folks in certain sections, I have lost interest in this forum and haven't visited for a while. I didn't notice Adsonic's PM he sent a while ago. My 200mph project from a few years ago flopped due to the lack of finding someone to actually create it. The main issue is cutting out the letters, numbers, etc (stuff that light shines through). I have zero idea how to do it. Here is what I made a long time ago for Super 10

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by 95wagon:
It would seem to me you would have to go inside the speedo and alter the signal to just the speedo head and not the odometer.
I wasn’t that keen on keeping my odometer reading correct. But after reading that some won’t go ahead with it because it will reduce the “selling Value” of the car. I’ve decided to open it up and take a look inside and see how hard it’s really is to fix it, specially that I already have the custom unit and all I have to do is find the correct track to cut and solder.

I’ll post what I find

Originally posted by Fleetwood SS:
My 200mph project from a few years ago flopped due to the lack of finding someone to actually create it. The main issue is cutting out the letters, numbers, etc (stuff that light shines through). I have zero idea how to do it.
Well we don’t have to worry about anything anymore, the company will do everything
All we have to do is modify the artwork that their going to do until we’re happy with the final design :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay just so i understand, we are looking at a 200 mph overlay and a device to calibrate the speedo_Odometer will read properly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by cheapspeed:
Okay just so i understand, we are looking at a 200 mph overlay and a device to calibrate the speedo_Odometer will read properly.
I’m still working on fixing the odometer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I couldn’t find anyway to keep the odometer reading correctly. I even let a technician look at it, but with no luck. As it turns out that the incoming VSS signal gets processed and converted “before” it splits to the speedo and odometer.

Therefore, if you decided to do this mod your odometer will always read -%25 of the actual mileage.

So, who’s interested in this mod? :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How about making the Z28 Cluster light up brighter, that's a mod I would like to see happen, but this isn't about what mods we would like to see. I hope you get your idea going.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.