Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running through the stepwise diagnostics of my cruise control, it looks like it's saying to check the release switch that is tucked way up under the dash. Has anyone experience removing it? It looks like there's a retainer that comes off too? Does it help to remove the stop lamp switch that's right below it? It is fastened to the brake pedal bracket the same way as the cruise release switch

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried pulling on both switches. They seem locked in some way.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Some ways are easy some are hard.

I find the easy way is to open the hood unplug the underhood cruise module and check the switch from the plug. This also checks the wire.

I do not like wasting time with the two screws and eight bolts to get to the switches then working under the dash.

If the switch is working why risk breaking it by removing it?

See your other thread: http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=1273681

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I find the easy way is to open the hood unplug the underhood cruise module and check the switch from the plug. This also checks the wire.

I do not like wasting time with the two screws and eight bolts to get to the switches then working under the dash.

If the switch is working why risk breaking it by removing it?
I hear you. I was mistaken earlier. I double checked the flowchart and everything checked out, down to the PCM connector B terminal 8 showing ~7 volts (actually was a bit high, but I think my voltmeter 'zero' is off.

The manual says if all that checks out to do that manual test of starting car, putting cruise into run position, then waiting three seconds, push set and R/A together and hold, while depressing and holding brake pedal for 10 seconds. Release brake pedal and see if RPM jumps slightly. Mine did not, so it looks like my cruise control module is toast. Suppose I could swap out the one in my 96RMW with the one in the 95 Impala, but pretty sure it is the module. Likely something in the solid state/integrated circuit board?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are right. The modules look very similar but the 94/95 are one part and the 96 is another. They are all discontinued and whatever is left some stupid ass wants $500 for. Screw that, I'm going to the yard later this week.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Listening .

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd bet there's some IC board in there that's identical between several GM vehicles. But not sure right now until I look.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts