Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everybody,

As New to the Site I want to introduce myself.
My name is Tomasz, I am from Poland. Recently I have been looking around for some Chevrolet Caprice and have found one in the end.

This is Caprice 1984 freshly imported from the States.

Cause on Saturday I am going to see and inspect it at the place, need some help.
Could you point out some weak Caprices' places - I mean possible places of RUST etc.

What else should be checked to confirm good shape of the car - engine, transmission etc.

The Link:

http://otomoto.pl/chevrolet-caprice-krakow-C36001830.html

Thank you

Regards.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Tires , belts , hoses & other rubber parts . Plastic parts .

The usual items with the engine , differential & transmission .

Paint and exterior trim / moldings .

I live in a mostly dry climate , not too much winter salt & far away from the ocean . So , for local cars , rust is not usually a big problem .

Where was it imported from ?

God bless
Wyr

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Tires , belts , hoses & other rubber parts . Plastic parts .

The usual items with the engine , differential & transmission .

Paint and exterior trim / moldings .

I live in a mostly dry climate , not too much winter salt & far away from the ocean . So , for local cars , rust is not usually a big problem .

Where was it imported from ?

God bless
Wyr
Hello WyrTwister

We have already met each other on the Chevycaprice forum. I was asking about a carb which this car uses.

The reg. plates are from New Jersey. I am going to inspect it, at the place, on Saturday.

This car is powered by L69 engine with 190 HP, what is more, it is a former Police car, so it seems a bit rare.

The owner, importer says that it runs very nice, but I am afraid about the engine and transmission shape - it is quite old, and the mileage is hard to establish.

I will know more on Saturday.

Regards

·
Registered
8,056 Posts
Welcome!

High mileage police use and N.E. coast winter salt would NOT be my first preferences picking a car to operate across the ocean. But, I guess if it still has all the police markings and you are aimed at restoring it for shows then fine.

For past public service vehicles I would add prior bodywork and suspension components to Wyr's list.

·
Registered
40 Posts
New Jersey ? I would be concerned with road salt / rust .

Engine , while idling , remove the PCV valve or valves . See how much smoke / blow by comes out of the engine . Repeat with some one opening up the throttle .

Inspect the condition of all the fluids , especially the transmission fluid .

Best of luck ,
Wyr
God bless

·
Registered
40 Posts
With the PCV system in place & functioning , it pulls outside air through the engine cavities / spaces and into the intake manifold . There it ( the outside air ) and the fumes / blow by ( picked up along the way ) are burned inside the engine .

If you just remove the oil dip stick , I think there would be a good chance air would be drawn in , instead of blow by coming out ?

With the PCV valve or valves removed , any blow by would escape through those openings . You can also remove the oil filler cap to allow blow by to excape .

God bless
Wyr

·
Registered
40 Posts
Pictures can be deceiving , but they look OK .

Be sure to look underneath the car for the rust you are concerned about .

God bless
Wyr

1 - 9 of 9 Posts