Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems to be a bit of common problem with these engines ,anybody can point out to a real solution ???? I have already changed the poulley for a less wide one because I saw the belt had bene completly slipping on the bottom of the groove, it is better but still not finished , switching on headlights and heaterfan on max and there it is again that noise !

·
Registered
418 Posts
If the belt is in good condition, then the most likely problem is the belt tensioner--with time and distance it becomes weak and can't keep the belt tight.

For your 1990 307 engine? This might be the correct part:

Reactions: Marky Dissod

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
If the belt is in good condition, then the most likely problem is the belt tensioner--with time and distance it becomes weak and can't keep the belt tight.

The 86-90 Caprice wagons came with that 307 Olds Electronic Q-jet engine.There was no belt tensioner on this engine.All old school pulley/belt set up.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Seems to be a bit of common problem with these engines ,anybody can point out to a real solution ???? I have already changed the poulley for a less wide one because I saw the belt had bene completly slipping on the bottom of the groove, it is better but still not finished , switching on headlights and heaterfan on max and there it is again that noise !
I owned an 89 Caprice wagon for 10 years as my daily with the 307 Olds engine.Have you tried adjusting/tightening the alternator belt with car idling?It has the threaded rod/bolt adjustment at alternator.That's how I always adjusted the belt,slowly ran the long threaded bolt/rod in,until belt was just quiet.Hope this helps,Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

no belt tensioner here

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I owned an 89 Caprice wagon for 10 years as my daily with the 307 Olds engine.Have you tried adjusting/tightening the alternator belt with car idling?It has the threaded rod/bolt adjustment at alternator.That's how I always adjusted the belt,slowly ran the long threaded bolt/rod in,until belt was just quiet.Hope this helps,Jim
I don't have the long bolt threaded adjuster can you send a pic??
I wil; try to sandblast the poully from waterpump and from alternator and hope that will solve the problem and new Gates belts

this car as been butchered by several owners before , I had to install a new edelbrock quadrajet instead of the whole computerthing that did n't work at all .. missing sensors , bad lambda, overfloading carb, worn butterfly axle .. so only solution was a standard carb NEW ;; that's solved ,
I intend to run LPG so the whole computersystem is not needed for propane gas , hence a standard manual no electric choke carb was the best solution here
I dont see any clamp to keep the distributor in place ,neither I am looking to adjust the HEI ignition because need to advance about xtra 10 degree when running on LPG , I have already replaced plugs and plugswiring , will order a new distributor cap also

I have an OBD1 reader that works perfect on a Chevy 305 but it don't work for the 307 ...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a question to people that know the real stuff of the 89/90 Caprice wagon with the computer carb , what is influencing the timing from the HEI ?

this should be the ECM electrics : https://i.pinimg.com/originals/96/de/2d/96de2da8586b4fa665675f46fd682936.gif

and what is the ESC stand for ?? pin L on the ECM , and where to find it ? I do not have the shop manual from the car and I find very very scarce the right info on this car electrics and engine , is the MAP changing anything of the ignition advance or is it just mixture changing ?

Since I swopped the carb for a regular manual Edelbrock the lambdasignal will be all over the place , and I want to know if that lambda signal should also change the ignition timing , or is it just the map and the knock sensor , what is causing advance on this distributor ?? and how can I set the timing ? or do I have to swop for a regular oldschool HEI distributor with inside mechanical and vacuum timing ?

looking for your replies .. Benjamin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found several differnt HEI distributors with differnt iginition blocks 4 pins , 7 pins 8 pins etc .. on the 307 is NO vacuum advance , so I suspect the advance must come from the mechanical springs inside and also from the ESC module that is retarding the advance when knocking happens ?? so it can be ommited like this ?

effects of an ESC module???

I think it should be wise to install a new aftermarket HEI ignition with just the hot wire and earth connection ?? and with ported vacuum advance connected ,,, ??? anybody got experience in that ??

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
I don't have the long bolt threaded adjuster can you send a pic??
I wil; try to sandblast the poully from waterpump and from alternator and hope that will solve the problem and new Gates belts

this car as been butchered by several owners before , I had to install a new edelbrock quadrajet instead of the whole computerthing that did n't work at all .. missing sensors , bad lambda, overfloading carb, worn butterfly axle .. so only solution was a standard carb NEW ;; that's solved ,
I intend to run LPG so the whole computersystem is not needed for propane gas , hence a standard manual no electric choke carb was the best solution here
I dont see any clamp to keep the distributor in place ,neither I am looking to adjust the HEI ignition because need to advance about xtra 10 degree when running on LPG , I have already replaced plugs and plugswiring , will order a new distributor cap also

I have an OBD1 reader that works perfect on a Chevy 305 but it don't work for the 307 ...
Here's a picture of my 89 Caprice wagon with a very tired 307 Olds engine.Taken shortly before I sold it.Bought it with 28k miles on her,sold with little over 230k miles.Notice at bottom of alternator mounting area you'll see the threaded belt tension adjustment bolt.FWIW- the alt belt only went to water pump if my memory is right.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thx for the pic , I ve seen these before on a jaguar ..will see if I can fit something like that , Today I received the big shop manual from the car ( posted from Usa took 4 weeks ) and now I will find my way in it for the other problems , like I said this car has bene butchered very badly technically , wiring in all the same colour blue wire for positive , blue wire for negatifs, , alarmsystems that are no longer functional , radio and boosters defective , typical badass boys car .. neglected . yesterday it took my 4 hours to change the brakepads , never been done the last 10 years I think ! Never been greased in its life I suppose

·
Super Moderator
6,015 Posts
I'd pop over to CadillacForums.com, join up, and head to the RWD section. The 307 Olds was used in those cars from 86-90 and there are some knowledgeable members there that may be able to help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts