Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For someone doing the basics, is the Chilton's enought for a 1996 Impala SS? I have a chance to pick up a B-Body service manual for about the same price. What are your thoughts? By basics I mean plugs, wires, oil, transmission fluid etc.

· Registered
343 Posts
For someone doing the basics, is the Chilton's enought for a 1996 Impala SS? I have a chance to pick up a B-Body service manual for about the same price. What are your thoughts? By basics I mean plugs, wires, oil, transmission fluid etc.
It ain't even close. Go for the B-body service manual and you'll be glad you did. I've got the 95 and 96 manual set.

· Premium Member
6,950 Posts
It ain't even close. Go for the B-body service manual and you'll be glad you did. I've got the 95 and 96 manual set.
+1 huge dfference...

· Registered
447 Posts
Another vote here for the FSM!
Love Mine!

· Registered
560 Posts
The FSM is great BUT if you are very new to working on cars the chilton may be easier to understand. Have to consider the target audiance for each.

· Registered
1,201 Posts
If you've got a line on the 3-volume FSM for about the same price as a Chiltons, get both. That's a great price for the FSM.

You can use the Chiltons until you have a good handle on the basics. Then you'll have the FSM already on hand for when you want to do something more advanced.

· Registered
412 Posts
The FSM is great BUT if you are very new to working on cars the chilton may be easier to understand. Have to consider the target audiance for each.
It is necessary to be easy to understand wording so GM mechanics can understand it. No, not pickin' on GM trained mechanics. It is just that some are more skilled and smarter than others. It is no different with doctors, lawyers, law enforcement, or even toolmakers. IOW, they word it so even mechanics that should have picked a different occupation can understand it. It needs to accommodate the lowest common denominator or weakest link.

It is worded in an easy to understand format to not only understand how, but also why. There is a reason it covers one year for one or two models and is 2" thick. Very thorough!

· Registered
669 Posts
Actually, right after getting every vehicle i've bought during the last 15 years, i've bought both the FSM's AND the Chiltons. One does not replace the other. Do yourself a favor, get both.

· Registered
154 Posts
the FSMs are so damn hard to find specific things, i been looking for the coolant tmep sensor in there for a week, one book tells me to go to the next then that one lists page 20-8 and its a different subject entirely....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.