Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, gonna be doing the diff fluid on my 96 SS soon and was wondering if there are any cool chrome diff covers or anything out there available? If so are they good quality with no leak issues or anything? Built in drain plug etc ? Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Most of the chrome available out there now are "el cheapo" and will warp and leak.

I have seen a few cats that have done the T/A Performance cover as it serves a dual purpose other than just show, may have to notch it due to our rear sway bar.

Pretty expensive piece.
http://fasttoys.net/shop/product_info.php?products_id=546

Remember, you really cant see the rear end cover on our cars as well as on other cars, like the G-body for example, so any bling you add there will go unseen for the most part, but you will know its there.

I dont think any of the current chrome ones are made as well as the stock cover.

I would just clean up yer stocker really nice, maybe powdercoat it.

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
clean up and powdercoat stocker, get an aluminum finned one, or get one that has preload studs for the ends caps:

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
What they said, plus you should keep in mind that chrome helps to hold heat in....not something you really want. I know, lot's of people have used chrome stuff on just about anything that can be chromed without any issues...I'm just sayin'.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most of the chrome available out there now are "el cheapo" and will warp and leak.

I have seen a few cats that have done the T/A Performance cover as it serves a dual purpose other than just show, may have to notch it due to our rear sway bar.

Pretty expensive piece.

Remember, you really cant see the rear end cover on our cars as well as on other cars, like the G-body for example, so any bling you add there will go unseen for the most part, but you will know its there.

I dont think any of the current chrome ones are made as well as the stock cover.

I would just clean up yer stocker really nice, maybe powdercoat it.

Hey thanks, ya i kind of thought about it being unseen too. If the chrome cover was semi cheap then i wouldn't mind too much but ill probably just clean up the stocker and leave it at that.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
clean up and powdercoat stocker, get an aluminum finned one, or get one that has preload studs for the ends caps:

Thanks, looks like ill probably just clean up the stocker and leave it at that. I just got the car a few months ago from my brother with only 19k on it. I was reading about the improper gaskets installed back in the day so my main reason for changing the fluid is just to refresh all the fluids in the car and make sure that the diff has the right gasket back there. I thought it would be cool to get a nice cover while at it but i think ill just leave it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What they said, plus you should keep in mind that chrome helps to hold heat in....not something you really want. I know, lot's of people have used chrome stuff on just about anything that can be chromed without any issues...I'm just sayin'.

OK thanks and its good to know. I guess chrome would be OK under the hood for caps/dress up on certain parts and such but the diff actually gets warm so i wouldn't want to make it any warmer etc. Everyone is right too, its not seen so im gonna put the money saved towards something else.

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
......or get one that has preload studs for the ends caps:
I'm not even close to a lo-rider type, but I can hardly even see the cover on either of my cars, so putting the attention into making something else pretty seems better return on the investment.

But, if there is some improvement from this preload stud feature I'm all ears. So, what is that for?

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
The pre-load bolt's get snugged up against the bearing caps and provide some support during hard launches as the carrier tries to exit the back-end of the housing. Does it really work?.....Who know's. Next time I change diff oil I will probably put one on, not that I race my car, but the finned alum. has to help dissipate some heat, and the drain & fill plug's are a positive. Can't hurt.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
Same one I have, except I milled "SUmmit" off it :)
cwm2 ......

It's identicle to the one Moser sells. My guess is that they're made by the same facility/company and that this company sells to both Summit and Moser......and God knows who else :rolleyes: .

A damn solid cover, IMO ;) !

KW

·
Registered
8,686 Posts
But, if there is some improvement from this preload stud feature I'm all ears. So, what is that for?
yes this type of cover DOES offer more stability in the bearing caps. with that said most do not need this but if you launch the car hard running a track tire (slick) than under those conditions it is very helpfull. even more so with a t56, low gear, running a MT street tire kind of car.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
cwm2 ......

It's identicle to the one Moser sells. My guess is that they're made by the same facility/company and that this company sells to both Summit and Moser......and God knows who else :rolleyes: .

A damn solid cover, IMO ;) !

KW
I have the Moser. The inside says TA Performance and has that company's part number.
Only reason I got the moser over anyother brand's version was that Moser parts were on sale.

Mine doesn't look like Buffman's though. I'll try and post a pic tonight.

- Brian

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
I have the Moser. The inside says TA Performance and has that company's part number........Mine doesn't look like Buffman's though.......
My Moser looks exactly limk the Summit. Maybe that went to a new supplier.....I dunno :confused: .

But I got the Moser because I have the Moser axles and I figured; 'What the Hell".

KW

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts

Pretty expensive piece.

with the stock control arms the sway bar rubbed the bottom of the cover and the side of the bolt but it was minor and I didnt have to clearance anything.
with metcos they dont rub.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts