Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Think some use 3M tape to cover the chrome trim. Hit up the search and there may be a post or two out there that will help you out.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I used blackout tape from pep boys next to the fake Chrome molding.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm confused... Are you all trying to say you just cover the chrome with black tape and drive around like that... How come not get it painted instead ?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I'm confused... Are you all trying to say you just cover the chrome with black tape and drive around like that... How come not get it painted instead ?
i painted mine and it chipped maybe putting a clearcoat over it would help. anyone can chime in on this?

·
Registered
346 Posts
you can't tell the tape is on there if done right and you use a razor blade, and this summer was hot in va and the tape didn't shrivel, discolor at all. I also did my door handles.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I used the 3M blackout tape on all my window and tailight trim about 5 years ago. Still holding up like it was done yesterday.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Mine was taped 8 years ago and still looks good, the tape has the same look as the rubber trim around it so it doesn't stand out.

·
Registered
346 Posts
make sure you get the correct tape.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Yep, just use the flat no shine 3M tape that Napa sells and it will do the job perfect. I used to have the exact part number, someone will chime in with it I am sure.

Around the mirror area and back by the sail panel emblem require some patience and skillz with an exacto blade but its well worth it when all done.

And the reason not to paint it (for me anyway) is because you can go back to stock anytime, just by pulling the tape off.

Your tastes on how you want the car to look change after a while (mine do anyway).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts