Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...

Like the b-bodies, the Fleetwood uses trim around the windows that consists of chrome and black vinyl. It is common for the vinyl to become faded and start peeling, and I never liked it in the first place. Older GM vehicles use trim that is made entirely of metal, with no vinyl.

Is there a decent way to completely delete the vinyl? I haven't looked closely at this trim when it was off the car, so I'm not sure how it is assembled. So far, I just started wire brushing it out of curiosity and impulsivity.

I've attached a pic of my 95 Fleetwood, and a pic of my 85 Eldorado, which has the style that I prefer.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't wire brush it, use a 3m eraser wheel

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
I googled the eraser wheel... It looks like an adhesive remover. I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem like it would be very effective at removing solid material like vinyl.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Eraser wheels do a good job of removing stickers and adhesive - That said, you can probably chemically remove the vinyl (brake cleaner) and there will be very little to clean up

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, man... Good idea. I was thinking acetone but I don't know what brake cleaner is made of.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I heard its best to remove the molding from the door and soak in in some kind of tile remover for a while then it come right off

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I heard its best to remove the molding from the door and soak in in some kind of tile remover for a while then it come right off
I was thinking it would be best to remove it from the car.

As far as solvents... This molding does have some rubber attached to it, at the very least. I'm not sure if there is any plastic or anything inside it. I would hate to melt it apart.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts