Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ordered the Clear Image Gen II headers and cats. I also ordered Pypes X-pipes. The Pypes are sitting in my dining room.

Jasonlachapelle tells me that the Pypes don't mate up with long tube headers. Is there a way to salvage the situation?

I was trying to avoid going to a muffler shop and bending over.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
I've ordered the Clear Image Gen II headers and cats. I also ordered Pypes X-pipes. The Pypes are sitting in my dining room.

Jasonlachapelle tells me that the Pypes don't mate up with long tube headers. Is there a way to salvage the situation?

I was trying to avoid going to a muffler shop and bending over.
The Gen II's are NOT long tubes.....they're mid-lengths.

With the cats that Dan sells wth them, they should have the same total length as stock manifolds with stock cats....so you should be fine as far as that goes.

The ONLY issue I see is whether the Pypes X-pipes are 'over-sized' sightly....and I think they are.

Pypes does this so that the X-pipes will connect if the owner has smaller, aftermarket (performance) mufflers.

Bottom line, unless you have the full Pypes exhaust for a B-body (that'll line up with their X-pipes).....you may have to get a muffler shop to do the install.

KW

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Or break out the hacksaw, LOL!

I have the old Tri-Y's and cats set-up.

Last year I set the car up on ramps and jack stands out on the curb and installed the Pypes X and a Dynomax Ultraflo kit(muffs back).

It all went in really painlessly with band clamps. I did have to hack off 1" from one of the Pypes' back legs to get things mostly straight, but it wasn't much of a hassle.

I think I posted a bunch of pix here too, wonder if they're still around.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
I have the old Tri-Y's and cats set-up...It all went in really painlessly with band clamps. I did have to hack off 1" from one of the Pypes' back legs to get things mostly straight, but it wasn't much of a hassle.
Ditto.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I've also got 2-1/2" Dynomax mufflers in here.

You'll need to shave segments from the rear to accomodate most aftermarket mufflers. Most aftermarket mufflers are 14". Stock is, I believe, 21". They can't know how long your mufflers are, so they made a universal compromise on length. You can remove, but you can't add, so extra length was figured in that way.

You'll also need to shave small segments from one or both of the 2 front pipes for the X to fit properly side to side and for proper ground clearancing. Most people don't do this and then report back a bad fit. That's on them, not Pypes. The instructions they include detail what you'll need to do.

Are there such a thing as 2.5" to 2" reducing band clamps?
No. You may see stepped clamps, but those are for same size ID and OD tubes. There's no way to get a good seal when reducing that much w/ a band clamp. You'll need to install a standard reducer in front or behind and then use a standard band clamp (either stepped or butt joint).

For band clamps, I highly recommend Donaldson aluminum clamps. Stainless steel is nice and shiny and all, but stretches more than aluminum. The Donaldson design has several advantages over Walker, etc... They can more readily be found on truck and diesel sites. 2.5" is about as small as trucks go.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I saw that someone posted a link in another thread to Donaldson flat band clamps on a Ryder site. They were a special order item there, with a multi-week delay. I can't find them anywhere else.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I saw that someone posted a link in another thread to Donaldson flat band clamps on a Ryder site. They were a special order item there, with a multi-week delay. I can't find them anywhere else.
That was probably me. I've used these guys before:
http://www.sdiesel.com/product/STEPPED_PREFORMED_SEALCLAMP_ALUMINIZED_25
Hell, even the price is still great. Amazing how Jeg's and Summit get away w/ charging nearly twice as much.

You can see how the clamp is better here:

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts