Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
After reading over the current ISSCA class judging guidelines/rules,I have a question concerning the stock class.
On an other wise all stock B-body,is removing the AIR pump assembly and placing the disable sticker on the core support,considered a mod?
Thanks,Jim

·
ISSF Honey Badger
27,205 Posts
Hi Guys,
After reading over the current ISSCA class judging guidelines/rules,I have a question concerning the stock class.
On an other wise all stock B-body,is removing the AIR pump assembly and placing the disable sticker on the core support,considered a mod?
Thanks,Jim
Jim I know we (ISSCA) spoke about that in the past but I'll be damned I can't remember what we decided.

I am almost sure it's still stock without the airpump since GM 'allowed' it and even recommended dealers do it but don't hold me to it.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.
That would be my thinking as well,especially since GM issued a TSB on it.My Caprice sat for a number of years and it had thrown the AIR pump code.So I decided to remove rather than replace it.Then went to Chevy had them recalibrate any updates and delete AIR. Jim

·
Premium Member
6,315 Posts
Jim,

I'm not an authority, and this is strictly "FWIW".

If an identical car to yours in all other respects was presented at the same time with the TSB followed "to the letter", your implementation of the AIR pump deactivation would be the less-correct method.

The bulletin leaves everything in place, blocks the air flow path, and re-tunes the PCM to eliminate the AIR pump cycle. A rather messy approach, but I think it was done to prevent any issues with states having under-hood visual inspection pass/fail criteria AND to achieve the change at minimal cost/shop time.

Removing the pump and plumbing certainly looks better. The lack of a non-standard manifold fitting "spec" plug (ie. a GM PN for that purpose) means there are going to be different visuals for anyone that has gone the "removal" path rather than strictly following the TSB. Some methods I've seen to plug the manifold ports were much less attractive than others, and if I was judging a stock-class group, it might be worth a comment, if several vehicles had used different methods of plugging the manifolds.

This is not to say I think you should put the plumbing back on the car--if it was a Corvette, with the anal-exam level of scrutiny for competition judging purposes followed in that arena, you would get nailed for the way the TSB is implemented on your car at present, but I think the B-body community is generally much more tolerant of reasonable interpretations that carry out the intent of the modified configuration, even if the TSB lacks specific instructions to remove anything.

Proceed with caution, but don't let my comments make you think you need to put all that crap back on the car!!! But I WILL be looking for the position of your valve stems when I see that car....:D (private joke between Jim & I, folks--Bowling Green 1999)

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Bill,
I can live with that.If a tie breaker btw 2 stock cars comes down to whether or not one is more correct,fine.

Although,I will say,a Chevy dealer service dept would remove the entire AIR assembly IF the customer wanted to pay for it,in a non visual emissions state/region of course(like Illinois).Just bring the service dept receipt and a copy of the TSB to Mich,right?

I would be pretty disappointed if I was placed into "mild street" non-Impala B class.

FYI-My Caprice is clean,but far from perfect!So,if you are expecting a perfect car Bill,you will be disappointed.It has a few "Character marks",etc...Under carriage is clean but not not touched up or painted,etc...I could easily detail it out for showing but I do not want to do that.So I will present her with no area's of the car refinished.Just cleaned/oiled to prevent further rusting<g>!

I did purchase a real nice 10k mile take off original exhaust to put on the car,though.So that will be 100% correct(had to replace my original mufflers).

No 2 wheel take off mirror display for this car(ala IOTHG '99)!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts