Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally getting ready to start working on the Caprice. The car has been sitting 10 years and have no idea what's inside the fuel tank. Since these are plastic, can they be cleaned out or will need a new one? Car has been in the garage the last 10 years too if this matters.

·
Registered
226 Posts
drop it pull sending unit and power wash it. nice thing is its not metal so no rust, just whatever debris made it in ther over the years. fuel most likely bad. I would be more worried about corrosion on your sending unit and inside pump (replace). this is what the pump sock and fuel filters are for right?

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm replacing everything with a Racetronix setup. Thanks for the response. Wasn't sure if they had some type of foam inside to prevent the gas from splashing around in the tank.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Wasn't sure if they had some type of foam inside to prevent the gas from splashing around in the tank.
Definitely NOT. In fact if you have 5 gallons or less in the tank and try to pull too many g for more than a few seconds (like with off / on ramps), you'll 'run out of gas' until enough fuel covers the fuel pump again.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
My understanding is there's a complement of baffles (sediment hiding places) to mitigate the 'sloshing', though that won't eliminate a low tank's 'run out of gas' in a long turn. When I had my tank out I shook T.S. outta what was left in it and it emptied surprisingly clear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts