Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased an SS rear seat and the Guy forgot to tell me that there was paint overspray on it. Anyone have any ideas on how to get it off?

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
*red flag*

If he "forgot" to tell you about visible (or that you can feel) overspray on a seat, I'd be real afraid about what else slipped his mind.

Anyways, I don't know the answer. :(

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Put paint Thiner on a paper towel then scrub at the paint, if that doesn't work then you mite have to use SEM over the entire seat.

7,191 Posts
Put paint Thiner on a paper towel then scrub at the paint, if that doesn't work then you mite have to use SEM over the entire seat.
NNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Paint thinner it will take the dye off the seats completely, your best bet it to either mask of the area and try and blend with sems, or just prep and redo the whole seats altogether

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Colemans fuel and a gray scotch bright pad or if it is really tough use a red scotch bright pad and then condition the surface with some kind of conditioner. I have used this method to pull pen marks and sharpie marks off of leather. And what was said about since it is just over spray, paint thinner would rip the die out of the seats.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
NNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Paint thinner it will take the dye off the seats completely, your best bet it to either mask of the area and try and blend with sems, or just prep and redo the whole seats altogether
You just have to be careful because paint thiner will actualy eat through the leather if your not careful but as long as you use a small amoutnt it won't hurt anything because SEM sells leather and plastic prep stuff in a can ( I don't remember what it's called exactly) and it basicaly is paint thiner in a can.

7,191 Posts
You just have to be careful because paint thiner will actualy eat through the leather if your not careful but as long as you use a small amoutnt it won't hurt anything because SEM sells leather and plastic prep stuff in a can ( I don't remember what it's called exactly) and it basicaly is paint thiner in a can.
considering the age of the seats in the car, coupled with the thinning of the factory dye from years of heat and friction from driving, you are dealing with material that has broken down considerably and is very thin.

any product that thins like "Paint thinner" will burn through the remained dye like butter

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Aside from googling, just experiment with diff. stuff on hidden area. Mineral spirits, MEK, propyl alcohol, goof-off, acry-solv, ammonia, lighter fluid.....

You might get lucky with a normal car vinyl cleaner.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
All I can say is I used SEM's plastic and leather prep which like I said is basically paint thiner on theese seats

and theese

as far as the roady seats go, the one on the left was a before and the one on the right was after I used my paint thiner stuff that didn't screw up my seats and after I used SEM paint.

7,191 Posts
Paint thinner is a polymer based product which works good for removing oil, grease and grime from the surface of the leather, just like if you spray WD40 on a grease spot.

if you wipe softly you can remove the stain easily, the guy is trying tro remove exterior overspray from the leather seats, the paint has a drying and bonding agent. Have you tried to remove over spray from a windshied or the exterior clear on a car?

anything can be used on seats you are going to dye as long as it dries properly and doesnt embead in the leather to later re'act to the sems.

it takes a reducer to remove over spray successfully from the exterior try using it on leather i know for a fact it will melt plastic. im not debating weather the product will work im just debating on will it work on over spray on leather seats

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I think the real question should be not how to remove overspray, but why was the car painted with the windows down? Also do you have pics of the seats, beacuase it mite just be better to repaint them with SEM.

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
there is goo-gone for paint.think its called goo-gone extreme? anything you try..try it on the underside so if you screw it up you wont see that.

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
just a update..projectss brought the seats over to me this morning and the goo-gone extreme worked perfect on the thickest part of the oversprayed paint.you need to keep using a clean rag but man did it work great.then some leather cleaner on the rest.dont look new but very useable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts