Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any good advice for clearing out all that brown junk from the cooling tank?
I finally am redoing the entire system and want to be sure I get as much as possible
out of circulating in the system.

Additionally, is there any method for restoring the color of the tank itself?

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
1. Any good advice for clearing out all that brown junk from the cooling tank?
I finally am redoing the entire system and want to be sure I get as much as possible
out of circulating in the system.

2. Additionally, is there any method for restoring the color of the tank itself?
1. This:, especially #7
http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/53-heating-cooling-hvac/1293066-flushing-cooling-system.html

I used Magic Purple - shake - flush - repeat - final flush distilled water - drain on end

2. Only Paint. Or wait for Year One to make one. Or maybe still some NOS.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
I can't help with the color of the tank itself. I have seen a few painted body color at shows, and it looked great. For that you will want to prep the surface with something like ScotchBrite, and clean with lacquer thinner.

What I did with one of my tanks was pour a few ounces of your favorite degreaser (Simple Green, Super Purple...etc) in the tank with a handful or more of ice cubes and shake the hell outa the tank. Rinse and repeat as needed.

It worked quite well for me.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
I've just removed the reservoir and put it in a cleaning tank to flush it out. Still does not get the whole thing Looking clean but gets most of the crud out. I've read some have used Ice (as mentioned) or even BB's to help agitate the inside of the tank to loosen the crud and then flush it out.

Along the same lines of the Ice or BB's, I found this video that he uses Rice along with some chemicals to really clean up the tank.

It actually does a really good job. He then also uses some Hair Care products to bleach the tank and its amazing how well it comes out and removes the discoloration. Just be sure to flush the tank extremely well if you use chemicals and protect your eyes/skin. The only difference between his tank and ours....we have a lot more hidden passages inside our LT1 Reservoir. So results could vary on our tank versus his open tank.

If this does not work to your satisfaction then your only option may be to purchase a New Reservoir.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Thanks for the vid. Quite impressive recovery. I'd be VERY leary of using such harsh collection of caustic chemicals on anything other than a simple blow-molded tank v. one which has a (sometimes commonly failing) main seam as ours do.

I bought a new either an NOS or repro tank for my son's '88 Monte for less than what that guy had in buying chemicals.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info. I was a bit concerned about dealing with all the hidden passages in that sucker. The suggestions here worked nicely.

As far as recoloring the tank, I completely forgot that there is a product to re whiten old computer cases. I will look into what is involved and see if it is usable on the tank itself.

I love my car, but dang, several bad mechanics and having it stolen has created quite a mess for ME to fix and sort out.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Heater REAL hot

I can see 165 at the outlet when it 60 outside and at 30 out I see 130......This is what I did,I back flushed the unit, then reversed the hoses and added a WIX cooling system filter. The flow is backwards and cleans out any remaining crap in there...Oldhead :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

·
Registered
572 Posts

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Careful with NEW Tanks being offered. Getting back to the whole New GM Parts issues we've seen lately on other parts. But I seem to remember a few posts from Members that said they got a new Tank and found it was leaking at the Seam. Maybe just a bad run of parts but my original tank still does not leak and the Crud is minimal if you keep your system clean and flush the tank real well.

The only thing I don't like about painting the tank is that you can't quickly see the coolant level. I guess it's not that difficult to just remove the cap for a quick check in the tank for level. So maybe not such a big deal but I also like how the tank sort of breaks up the overall Black Engine Bay.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Careful with NEW Tanks being offered. Getting back to the whole New GM Parts issues we've seen lately on other parts. But I seem to remember a few posts from Members that said they got a new Tank and found it was leaking at the Seam. Maybe just a bad run of parts but my original tank still does not leak and the Crud is minimal if you keep your system clean and flush the tank real well.

The only thing I don't like about painting the tank is that you can't quickly see the coolant level. I guess it's not that difficult to just remove the cap for a quick check in the tank for level. So maybe not such a big deal but I also like how the tank sort of breaks up the overall Black Engine Bay.

·
Registered
572 Posts
HMMMMM. I havent seen those posts about the leaks, but it is a GM part. If it has a problem, it is warrantied for like 1 year or whatever it is. So you could replace it with another.. It not a bad job to do, I might have to replace mine anyway given I have a leak somewhere now so what options do I have? plastic weld or buy new..

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I'm the one with the new OEM leaking.
I have thread somewhere on it.
I got plastic welder at HF and have been patching and pressure testing until it is leak proof.
no updates yet as doing motor install at moment.
-ALF out...

·
Registered
572 Posts
Ah got it. I searched but couldn't find a thread pertaining to this. If you bought a gm part why not get a replacement??

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
my guess is i got it from Mike/Hamilton on forum.
not sure if was ebay, or phone purchase.
Would have to check receipt for how long warranty was...
I may have been on the shelf at home for months before i tried installing it.
Plus 20 years on shelf at dealership.
1yr is good i doubt it had that though......
-ALF out...

·
Registered
572 Posts
Well warranty starts the second the payment clears. I think gm parts carry a one year replacement plan. Doesn't matter the part, except electronics of course..

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
my guess is i got it from Mike/Hamilton on forum.
not sure if was ebay, or phone purchase.
Would have to check receipt for how long warranty was...
I may have been on the shelf at home for months before i tried installing it.
Plus 20 years on shelf at dealership.
1yr is good i doubt it had that though......
-ALF out...
Well if you did buy if from Hamilton WHY did you not contact them and ask for a replacement? It was covered for 12 months and they would have warrantied it no problem! To the best of my knowledge Hamilton did not sell any that leaked based on zero returns or complaints and they have sold over 100 of them.

Mike--94MSP9C1

·
Registered
572 Posts
Good to know.. guess I'll hand over the 85 bucks now..

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
No worries Mike,
I think i got this from you actually
Impala SS~S Shaped Evap Hose~12556259 4/8/2014
I think i got the tank from Dal. from quick look at my records.

Easier to fix mine than the hassle to return and hope next one don't leak.
Everyone gotta do what works for them.
-ALF out..

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
HMMMMM. I havent seen those posts about the leaks, but it is a GM part. If it has a problem, it is warrantied for like 1 year or whatever it is. So you could replace it with another.. It not a bad job to do, I might have to replace mine anyway given I have a leak somewhere now so what options do I have? plastic weld or buy new..
Maybe it was just Angelo's that I was thinking of but could have sworn I saw this mentioned by others/sites. I looked but can't find anything else on it so maybe it was just his.

In any case, sure you can just buy another. But understand it's going to quickly change and look just like the old one and you got $80-$100 less Cash in your pocket. I have seen people describe how a new tank quickly will turn. So if looks are the issue, then people may as well just Paint it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts