Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an '08 Pontiac G6 V6 DD back in July. Been very happy with it so far. However ... I've noticed that there are "shadows" of numbers and letters on the exterior of almost all the windows. I'm sure the dealership acquired it at auction and those were some type of markings to identify the car. I've tried Windex of course and Rain-X but you can still see them especially when there is a little dew on the car. Any thoughts on how to remove them? Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I picked up an '08 Pontiac G6 V6 DD back in July. Been very happy with it so far. However ... I've noticed that there are "shadows" of numbers and letters on the exterior of almost all the windows. I'm sure the dealership acquired it at auction and those were some type of markings to identify the car. I've tried Windex of course and Rain-X but you can still see them especially when there is a little dew on the car. Any thoughts on how to remove them? Thanks in advance for any help.
Have you tried a razor?

·
Registered
685 Posts
2k or anything over 2k grit wet sandpaper and soapy water, I usually get water stains out of my windows and mirrors and rims with that.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2k or anything over 2k grit wet sandpaper and soapy water, I usually get water stains out of my windows and mirrors and rims with that.
That won't scratch the windows? I'm willing to try about anything. The car is very, very clean and even though this isn't a big deal it annoys me especially after I wax it and it's all detailed.

·
Registered
260 Posts
hah thought i was the only one with this problem....i bought mine through copart and i have the writings "etched" into the windows it seems.......

·
Registered
569 Posts
Glass

2000 grit sounds insane! Even a gray scuff pad sounds insane. I wouldn't do it.
You could try a rubbing compound. Remember to not use much. more abrasives than lubricants will be in effect if you used like a thin half inch for a 6x6 area.
You can use Terry cloth of glass. It's much less delicate than clear.

Have you tried claying the letter outlines on the windshield?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Use a clay bar. I can tell you destructive tales of even very fine sandpaper.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Use a clay bar. I can tell you destructive tales of even very fine sandpaper.
Yeah, sandpaper scares me. Never tried it, and it may work, but I would hate to permanently scratch the windows.

Never thought about a clay bar. Thanks! I happen to have one of those with all my waxing stuff. Will try it tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
A clay bar is good. The wiper blade companies use Bon Ami to clean windows before testing blades. i've tried it and is the best I have ever tried. It won't scratch and gets them really clean.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Dont use a razor blade
I just did that on my tahoe and there must have been something I didnt get off the windshield when I washed it well I know it got stuck to the razor blade cause now I have scratched lines into the windshield horizontally seems like everywhere!
Man, I m a real jerkoff!!!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Dont use a razor blade
I just did that on my tahoe and there must have been something I didnt get off the windshield when I washed it well I know it got stuck to the razor blade cause now I have scratched lines into the windshield horizontally seems like everywhere!
Man, I m a real jerkoff!!!
cerium oxide with water may be able to remove the scratches... That's about the thing only thing that can.

·
Registered
685 Posts
2000 grit sounds insane! Even a gray scuff pad sounds insane. I wouldn't do it.
You could try a rubbing compound. Remember to not use much. more abrasives than lubricants will be in effect if you used like a thin half inch for a 6x6 area.
You can use Terry cloth of glass. It's much less delicate than clear.

Have you tried claying the letter outlines on the windshield?

rubbing compound is used to remove 1.5k to 2k grit sand paper scratches.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/detailsupplydepot/dsd6.aspx

so if you use a 3k sand wet sandpaper you don't need the rubbing compound.

I used 2k sandpaper to clean my windows after I removing the tint and to remove water stains from my mirrors.

the key is WET SANDPAPER WITH SOAPY WATER!!!

of course just like polishing a car, if you never done it chances are you are going to do it wrong the first time.

·
Registered
546 Posts
That is an acid etched theft deterent that the dealers soak customers into buying. Should match the VIN on the car.

Acid etched into the glass. It' aint coming off.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I'll second that. It's very close to Bon Ami. Both are good even on fiberglass without scratching
What should I be looking to buy? I have a couple scratches from a window scraper when I first started driving. I would like to try this before considering replacing the glass. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
There are a few polishing kits on the market for glass. They are costly and depending on the scratch are only marginal. If you run a search on you tube you will see a few examples of what has worked for some.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
A clay bar is good. The wiper blade companies use Bon Ami to clean windows before testing blades. i've tried it and is the best I have ever tried. It won't scratch and gets them really clean.

YES ...
Bon Ami is a Cleanser used for decades to clean and polish windows.

Actually you can use any..BUT Bon Ami seems to work the best.

Dan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts