Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, looking at getting clear corner lenses for my 96 DCM SS. Ive seen so many kinds and types on eBay and online stores etc that my head is about to spin. Can anyone tell me what are the best made ones and most importantly which ones kinda look similar to the headlight etc. I want them to match as best as possible. Id hate to get like a "Euro" style or whatever and have it look off compared to the stock headlight etc. I know they are all clear but the inner parts have different types of reflectors ya know. Any ideas, pics etc? Thanks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! Ya those are the styles that i was thinking about. They look very simple and just clear, not all goofy inside with reflectors etc. Its odd though, both of the ones you guys posted look pretty similar but a huge difference in price. Haven't looked yet either but how do they mount? Thanks

·
Registered
1,141 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Thanks guys! Ya those are the styles that i was thinking about. They look very simple and just clear, not all goofy inside with reflectors etc. Its odd though, both of the ones you guys posted look pretty similar but a huge difference in price. Haven't looked yet either but how do they mount? Thanks
not to knock streettrends but thats why i do my research before looking there. can save a ton of $

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
with a forum discount you get them 30 Shipped i think.
either way you I always count on ST to refund you those lights if they were to go foggy or leak.
I didn't know we got a forum discount with those, or anything for that matter. I paid like $30 shipped for mine a few years back. I got them a couple of months before I was a member of this forum.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
If your car is a daily driver and it's going to be out in the sun, I'd find out it Streettrends warranties them. The place on eBay won't. I don't really care because my car sits in the garage and doesn't see rain or snow (except for last night, thank you Weather Channel, 0% chance of rain my ass)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the additional info everyone. My 96 only has 19k original miles and is not subjected to everyday abuse. Thats what my jeep is for lol! I just got the car off of my brother and its mint. So i think i would be ok if i got the cheaper ones and had no warranty stuff to worry about. The car is basically in the easiest environment it could possibly be in etc so they should hold up. I haven't looked at the stock mount points yet but are they bolted on or do they just clip in?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
IIRC, there's one screw and one clip. I have a 97 ZJ as a daily driver. That's actually got pretty low miles on it too. It's only got 70000 which is good for a 97, and my Caprice has only 41500 on it. When I got the Caprice, I only had 17000, but it was a daily for a couple of years. What kind of Jeep do you have?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
IIRC, there's one screw and one clip. I have a 97 ZJ as a daily driver. That's actually got pretty low miles on it too. It's only got 70000 which is good for a 97, and my Caprice has only 41500 on it. When I got the Caprice, I only had 17000, but it was a daily for a couple of years. What kind of Jeep do you have?

Hey thanks for the info. I have a 97 xj sport. It has 139K but you can eat off of it. I used to own my own detail shop and have been doing it since i was a little kid so i always maintain my rides ya know. The jeep has seen plenty of Chicago salt and snow over the years but it looks great. But hey, that is what it was made for and its on duty on a daily basis regardless of weather.

I am in to motorcycles also and those get babied the most lol. I had a Yamaha v star 650 cruiser for 7 years(first bike) and put 41k on it. Sold it a few months ago because i got my new bike in December, a Yamaha Roadliner S, 1854 CC!!!!!!!!!!!! Ya its great. Tons of chrome. candy red, and power that is flat out awesome. 2k in mods on that baby:)

But back to the SS, my brother bought it 11 years ago with 10k on it. He drove it very little obviously since it only has 19k now. I did all the maintenance on it over the years but it hasn't needed much sitting in a heated garage with a California custom car cover protecting it. My brother lost interest a while ago and knew it was a great car for me since i am into mechanical things and wanna take it to cruise nights and car shows as much as possible. So, its in good hands. I got new tires on order for it as one has a split where the treads meet the sidewall(like 3/4 inch). I wanna start fresh as the tires are original. I have the Nitto NT 455 Extreme Performance ones on order . So i am pumped. Here are the pics from the detail i did on it a couple weeks back. I did a 2 stage buff with wax after. :

http://rides.webshots.com/album/578378681uwSubN

Once i get the tires this week ill update the photos as i have done the red bowtie in the grill and the 61' emblems on the front fenders. Love the car though!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Where you at in Chicago? I'm in NW Indiana.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I'm pretty familiar with Oak Lawn. I'm less than 45 minutes away from there, depending on traffic on 294. My dad is from there and I've got some family there too. Back to your original topic, I'd go with the cheap clear corners in your case. If you need help getting them on, I'd be willing to help you out with them, no charge. Plus, I'd love to see such a low mileage Impala in person and be able to check that out.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm pretty familiar with Oak Lawn. I'm less than 45 minutes away from there, depending on traffic on 294. My dad is from there and I've got some family there too. Back to your original topic, I'd go with the cheap clear corners in your case. If you need help getting them on, I'd be willing to help you out with them, no charge. Plus, I'd love to see such a low mileage Impala in person and be able to check that out.
Cool thanks! Good to hear you are familair with oak lawn. It is pretty popular it seems and alot of people seem to come through this way at some point. Id be down for meeting up one night or doing a cruise night etc.

As far as the clear corners, i ordered the eBay ones last night :) Hopefully they will be here this week. I am sure i need new bulbs too as the old ones are probably clear right? I had to do the bulb swap when i did my jeep.

This week should be a busy one for the car. I have a nice little checklist of what i want to do. I just did the emissions test this morning so the plate sticker can get renewed and the tires are the major thing. I just don't feel comfortable with the split in that front one so i have been holding off just taking it on the highway and blowing out the carbon lol.

But yeah lets keep in touch and go from there.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Cool. That sounds good.

As far as the bulbs go, I honestly can't remember if you'll need to replace them or not. I know they're 24s. I replaced mine, but that was because I wanted to go green, literally. When I switched to clear corners, I put green bulbs in for the parking lights. That was the main reason I wanted to go with clear corners. I've been riding like that for a handful of years now and I haven't got pulled over yet for it...knock on wood.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cool. That sounds good.

As far as the bulbs go, I honestly can't remember if you'll need to replace them or not. I know they're 24s. I replaced mine, but that was because I wanted to go green, literally. When I switched to clear corners, I put green bulbs in for the parking lights. That was the main reason I wanted to go with clear corners. I've been riding like that for a handful of years now and I haven't got pulled over yet for it...knock on wood.
Hey, just wanted to give you an update on whats been new the last few days. The clear corners are coming Saturday. I already took one off for the hell of it and it couldn't be easier. One screw and a clip and that's all. I got the #24 bulbs in amber already so i cant wait til they come in. Got the new tires a few days ago too:) Changed the oil the next day. So ya its coming along great and i already put 200 miles on it this week just to blow the cobwebs out. I washed it today too and have pics:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/578466767AFYpjt

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Hey, just wanted to give you an update on whats been new the last few days. The clear corners are coming Saturday. I already took one off for the hell of it and it couldn't be easier. One screw and a clip and that's all. I got the #24 bulbs in amber already so i cant wait til they come in. Got the new tires a few days ago too:) Changed the oil the next day. So ya its coming along great and i already put 200 miles on it this week just to blow the cobwebs out. I washed it today too and have pics:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/578466767AFYpjt

Those pics look pretty nice man. That's one clean car, for sure.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts