Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, "Do a search you lazy bastard".

Anyway, took the beast for about 400 miles of road trip the past 3 days (24MPG!)and the AC started blowing hot. It also started reading inconsistent outside temps and then sometimes blowing cold for short periods. Comp is running and the system is charged. Is this the dreaded Fleetwood meltdown of the Climate Control? Or is it the ductwork door just sticking?

If the former is it even worth the effort to disconnect the battery overnight and let it sit? I had it off battery for a month while I was working on it and seem to remember reading someone else's went nuts after hooking things back up, which they cured by letting it "reset" again the same way...?

I hate going to a Roadie system because of the plain black controls and I assume those can't be swapped?

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
You're gonna catch a lot more grief for dissing the RMS controlhead than for not doing a search! That swap is quite handy for returning vent mix controls to the driver over the pretty much 'Auto Only' Cady setup.

I've never had problems with the AC-Heat in mine. I'm in mostly to learn more.

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I'm not really dissing it, but it is just some pretty generic looking plastic buttons, where the FWB controls are actually rather well made.

It's the first problems I've had from any of mine. I've read others problems and been self-satisfied I never had to deal with it. yeah, well...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Well, I'm not really dissing it, but it is just some pretty generic looking plastic buttons, where the FWB controls are actually rather well made.

It's the first problems I've had from any of mine. I've read others problems and been self-satisfied I never had to deal with it. yeah, well...
It pretty much looks identical, the RM unit versus Caddy. I put one in three or so years ago and never looked back... the ability to have heat on my face is soooooo worth it, whatever small caveats there are.

Only downside I can really see is that the RM unit is slightly smaller than the FW unit, and you have to really fool with it to get it to sit just right in the squared off opening of the dash trim to cover the gap.

As for the problem you have... not sure.
I would recommend getting a factory service manual for this car. There are extensive drawings and troubleshooting guides for the HVAC system... it will help you diagnose the temp sensor in the dash (since out temps are inconsistent), and all other things.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts