Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Cloyes Timing chain or LT4 Timing chain

418 views 8 replies 0 participants last post by  Handyman 
G
#1 ·
I'm gonna be getting a new Heavy Duty timing chain kit for the new motor and I was going for the GM LT4 kit cuz I was told it was the best. A friend mentioned the Cloyes Chain, saying it's as strong if not stronger than the GM chain. Any truth to this or should I stick with the GM kit??

G
#3 ·
are you running a factory water pump or a elcetric water pump.
if you no longer have the water pump drive gear on the block then you can run what i think is a good piece the EDELBROCK 7801 DOUBLE ROLLER.....

if not then i would think the lt4 extreme duty would be the best for a stock water pump driven timing chaIN

G
#4 ·
Cloyes makes the GM chain.
However, if you want a good fit (ie. no slop), then call Cloyes and get the Cloyes part, not the GM part. The GM part numbers are made with intentional slop for assembly-line ease.

G
#5 ·
I'm still on the fence as to whether i should go with the Electric Water pump or not. What are the advantages/disdvantages of it?

I'll definitely get the Cloyes directly from Cloyes then rather than the GM version.

G
#6 ·
Thanks Pat I didn't know there was a difference. As far as Electric H2O...for me it's been all good. I bought a second unit as a spare when a local speed shop was going out of business due to all the horror stories I'd heard about failures. It's been sitting on the shelf collecting dust, after almost a year, 200+ trips down the track and probably 6,000-7,000 street miles with no problems.

G
#7 ·
There's an LT4 GM Chain and there is an LT1/LT4 GMPP HD Chain.
The GM LT4 chain is a light weight single roller made in France and is about like a 10 speed bike chain. I have never heard of any failures and I have used it without issue, but dang it looked light weight.
When I got my GMPP HD chain and sprockets it was pretty sloppy. I called Thunder Racing and got the Cloyes oversize sprocket to reduce slop.
I soon had a failure with the GMPP HD, all the cogs on back of the the large sprocket chain sheared, the water pump drive gear looked great, and GM told me tough luck.
Cloyes replaced it for free after I sent them pictures. I went with the Meziere Electric and it still running fine 10000 miles later.

G
#9 ·
Miguel,
This is the chain I used after calling the company.The part is for electric water pump.Works perfect and a tight fit,no cover issues.Direct fit.#CLO-9-3157.I have never had a problem with my pump.I also carry a spare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.