Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright so lately the speedometer on my stock 94' cluster has been getting pretty dim for no reason. it has gotten progressively worse. what will happen is when im driving, out of nowhere the speedometer goes dim (lately i can bearly see the speed it goes so dark). ill tap on it a few times and it will light back up.

is this something i can fix myself? possibly a bad LED light?
or do i need to pay $150 to have the thing fixed

·
Administrator
3,319 Posts
It's too bad we lost the old posts. Someone had JUST posted the how-to on the fix for this. I need to do it too. Maybe I'll take pics...

Quick version:
- remove bezel
- remove lense
- remove cluster front
- remove digital display
- clean, and bend contact tabs back on display
- reflow solder on the contacts on the board on cluster

·
Registered
248 Posts
Try this:

http://capricess.com/tech/cluster/fading_cluster/fix.htm

If that doesn't work, call these guys.
They fixed my speedo/odo/trip odo and I was pleased with the results.

United Radio
5705 Enterprise Parkway
East Syracuse, NY 13057
Toll-free: 800-448-0944
Phone: 315-446-5570
Toll-free Fax: 800-701-3874
Fax: 315-446-2434

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
now that ive seen it apart a couple times it makes me wonder... are there different colored screens besides the green one? it would be a sweet mod to make it blue or something

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it seems like doing that would make it work, because if i tap it it lights back up. seems like something old contact points would do.
my cyclops light didnt work and it was the same way, we hardwired the contact points inside of the assembely

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
on my '94 Cappy wagon when I took the display out the ICs on the board were roasty toasted into little silicon cinders. two ICs totally cooked. Had to replace it with another cluster :( but it was only 15bucks at the junkyard

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.