Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 96 ss speedo is off, it’s in the cluster, switched my other cluster speedo in and it works fine. Is there a place I can get the stepper motor for the speedo?

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
My 96 ss speedo is off, it’s in the cluster, switched my other cluster speedo in and it works fine. Is there a place I can get the stepper motor for the speedo?
did you confirm the stepper motor is bad ? could be another solder joint ..

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Stickman bring your hearse. I'm digging this one up.
Since this is the only forum I go to and there is so much knowledge here I'm comfortable asking you, my Friends, this question.
One of my cars, 2005 Lesabre with 13300 miles on it, is having trouble with the speedometer and the fuel gauge. I have some stepper motors here and the tools. My question is could it be both motors or as above just a common solder joint. Any other things I should look for when I pull the instrument panel out? I know it's not a B body but this is my Safe Place. Thanks all.

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
no sure on a buick but the GM trucks have had 110% stepper motor failures 2004-2005...

a family member has this speedometer failure on a pontiac I believe it was the 2005 model year.. about $100 to get fixed they will replace all the motors and re-solder the board..

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Um j-, start that a year sooner. My son's '03 3500 lost a stepper. Then another. I replaced them, but then more died. Then was it the famous cold solder on the odometer, or was it one of the other lights IDR. Anyway, x1,000 on just sending it out for repair of all the known weak spots at one time. And then there's the radio issues during that era.......

But fast-, yes. Steppers all over the place online. Some cheaper/lower quality than others of course.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Okie. I have the motors and the tools. I think I will take it to my friend that is laid up with a broken leg. He used to work on aircraft radars as part of his job here managing the army air field on post. I think he would like the "job".

Thanks all,

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
the repair sites have noted that they use only the high quality motors .. yes there are bad steppers for sale ..

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
I got mine from a guy in Fla. I got seven of them so I'm hoping all will go well.
Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I replaced all seven of my stepper motors on my 2004 Silverado, while you are in there just do all of them, because the rest of them will eventually fail. Use a low wattage soldering iron (25 watts). That went so well I then did the resister job on my 96SS, just resoldered the resistors.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good Day All;
Does anybody have a brand and model number of a preferred step motor for the 94-96's? All the places I've seen on-line only talk about around 2000 on up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts