Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE A 96' 5.7 CAPRICE CLASSIC, AND I WANTED TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MY ENGINE AND AN IMPALA'S. THE ONLY DIFFERENCE I SEE IS THAT I HAVE A CLUTCH FAN AND THE IMPALAS DON'T. DOES THAT MAKE A MAJOR DIFFERENCE OR WHAT?!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There isn't any other differences that i can think of right now. If you have the clutch fan then you might have the towing package which has heavy duty springs, sway bars front and back, oil and trans coolers, and some other stuff. I have a 95 with tow package and took off the clutch fan and it made a noticeable difference.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The clutch fan is a torque and hp parasite across the entire rpm band, which is why the 9C1s and the SSs avoided the VO8 cooling system.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the advantage is that your temp gauge dosent move once the car warms up, when you have A/C on the secondary electric kicks on, i have sat for extended periods of time in traffic with A/C on in humid 95+ degree heat and the temp gauge didnt even go halfway up the range.....my car has the towing package also.....i have driven other b-bodys with the electric fans and i myself cant tell the difference

in MY OPINION it isnt worth taking it off

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you want to see if there is any difference just remove the belt and drive it. I could not notice a difference. To lower the power drain and stop the roar of the fan that ocours in the mornings when it's cold, just replace the fan clutch with a silicone unit from a 84 Buick with standard cooling. About $35 from NAPA. The conversion to electric can be done but to do it right gets a little pricey.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies everybody it helped out a lot!!

BLACKJACK96' 5.7 CAPRICE classic

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually just took it off and put in another electric from an impala but haven't even hooked it up. But my car never gets passed the halfway point. I also do not have inner fenders though so that helps cool down everything. Oh, and you can also have more options with intakes without the clutch fan.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey RJI,
Could you give me a little more info on the silicone fan clutch.
Which 84 Buick? Or do you have a part number?
I'd love to quiet down that fan.
Thanks

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Baatfam:
Hey RJI,
Could you give me a little more info on the silicone fan clutch.
Which 84 Buick? Or do you have a part number?
I'd love to quiet down that fan.
Thanks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is from an 84 Buick Lesabre with standard cooling. NAPA part munber is 271305. They sell one that is not silicone for a couple of bucks less but it will make noise. I forget the price. I think 35-45. It will do the trick.
:D

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FYI...The NAPA fan clutch mentioned won't fit the 93 L05 in my Roadmaster wagon. :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts