Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok So I am getting a code 46. Assuming the worst I went to Radio Shack and bought the corresponding resistors and made a resistor pack matching my key. wired it in under the dash. and still no start. Code 46 (PassKey Fault) from the PCM. Any ideas?

1994 Buick Roadmaster Estate.

Thanks in advance

· Banned
3,437 Posts
Ok So I am getting a code 46. Assuming the worst I went to Radio Shack and bought the corresponding resistors and made a resistor pack matching my key. wired it in under the dash. and still no start. Code 46 (PassKey Fault) from the PCM. Any ideas?

1994 Buick Roadmaster Estate.

Thanks in advance
so you installed the resistor of the same resistance as the key. then you used a key with NO resistor ??? or you used the key with the resistor ?

· Premium Member
5,301 Posts
The only time a 94-96 Passkey II "learns" the the key is the very first time you power up a green module.
( this is why an SEO car can learn zero resistance)
These are not like the later systems that you do the multiple key on for extended periods to go through the relearn when components are replaced.

What they will do is prevent restart for 3 min +- 18 seconds if the wrong resistance was tried

OP , jumping the wiring with a resistor may take the key and column wiring out of the equation but the Vats module, vats relay are still in the equation along with the PCM looking for the signal to enable the injectors.

If you truly want to disable it, you need to disable VATS in the PCM program and ground the signal wire to the Relay

OR, get your hands on a factory service manual and diagnose the problem correctly

· Premium Member
5,301 Posts
I was replying to you saying it has to learn the key, it does not.
It is "looking" for the resistance value it already learned in 1994 the first time it was powered up .
What ever, semantics.

Fact remains, hanging resistors under the dash, in my mind ,is half assed.

Fix the system , or completely remove it

Original poster, if you PM me your Email , I will scan the pages from my 1995 service manual
Would have to be today as I am gone for a week in a few hours.
Or some one else here could do the same for you.

Gerry

· Banned
3,437 Posts
I was replying to you saying it has to learn the key, it does not.
It is "looking" for the resistance value it already learned in 1994 the first time it was powered up .
What ever, semantics.

Fact remains, hanging resistors under the dash, in my mind ,is half assed.

Fix the system , or completely remove it

Original poster, if you PM me your Email , I will scan the pages from my 1995 service manual
Would have to be today as I am gone for a week in a few hours.
Or some one else here could do the same for you.

Gerry
I agree with the complete removal. since your relying on the relay and circuit to allow the start. less to go wrong more reliable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.