Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Code 84... I leaped before I looked

Greetings all, new to the B-body scene with a 94 Roadmaster I just picked up yesterday.

Long story short, trans is in limp mode and I have a code 84: 3-2 control solenoid circuit. In my infinite wisdom, I just returned from the parts store realizing they sold me the 2-3 shift solenoid, and since I'm kind of in the northern Michigan sticks, I don't fancy another 80 mile round trip to the store if I don't have to.

I'm mechanically inclined, just not very familiar with the 4L60E (or the Roadmaster in general, but with the help of this forum I'm getting there). From what I gather, this code usually means I need to replace the 3-2 control solenoid, yes? And now for the million dollar question: can the solenoids interchange, or do I have another 80-mile trip in my future?

Thanks much for the advice folks!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I don't know if it would throw that code, but if the fuse for the O2 sensor blows it will put the trans in limp mode. The O2s and the trans share the same one. Might be worth checking first.

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Unfortunately the 1-2 and 2-3 shift solenoids (on/off) are different than the 3-2 downshift control solenoid (pulse-width modulated) and are not interchangeable. The 3-2 downshift is tricky in the 4L60E because you have to release the 3-4 clutchpack and then reapply the 2-4 band to get from 3rd to 2nd and that's why the 3-2 downshift solenoid is needed - to modulate this.

Throw some new tunes on the MP3 player for the drive?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok... so are you saying replacing the solenoid is tricky, or the way this particular downshift works is tricky, hence why it uses a separate solenoid?

And I can't seem to find a part listing for this little buggar anywhere. Dealer-only item perhaps? Here's hoping something can happen Monday, because starting Tuesday this car will be seeing 150-mile round trip commutes for about a week, and I really don't want to run 60 down the highway in third gear :eek:

Oh, and it's definitely not a fuse issue. Everything is fine and dandy in that department :)

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
I'm just giving some background as to why the 3-2 downshift solenoid is unique and necessary. Replacing the solenoid is pretty easy. Disconnect the wiring harness (gently, as the plastic gets brittle), remove the snap clip, remove solenoid. Then install the new one using the opposite procedure.

Are there any local transmission shops? They usually keep good used spares around and would probably sell you one cheap. Any junkyards? There are a zillion 4L60Es out there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE:

Couldn't track down any of the solenoids locally on my own over the weekend, outside of waiting a few days for one to arrive. And since I started a new job today I made the mistake of taking the 'master to the local stealership this morning. Long story short, the car needs a new PCM--according to the tech, a short in the PCM is sending too much power to the 3-2 solenoid. They did have one in stock and changed it per my request, but the problem persists.

I've had dealings with this place in the past, so I do believe them. However, I refuse to pay them $300 parts and labor for a PCM. Since it looks like I need one anyway, how about some advice on either good used PCMs, or better yet, places to get an upgraded box :D

TIA for the advice--I promise all these questions will be worth while in a couple weeks!

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
They changed what - the PCM or the solenoid?

Just buy a used PCM off Ebay or on this forum for $65 shipped. You'll need one from a '94 or '95 RMW. If you look on the RPO option tag on the inside right rear of the tailgate opening, you'll see a GUx code, where the x is a number. What code do you have?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry... they changed the solenoid. They wanted to change the PCM, but they wanted like $300 total-parts and labor. I may end up getting a tuned PCM if I can work out a good deal.

RMW = wagon, yes? I have a sedan... that code somewhere back around the trunk? Eh, it's a nice day outside... I'll spend some of my lunch looking around for the code.

Thanks!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Mine was doing this, it had a shorted wire coming out of the PCM. Transmission shop found it, had 2 guys, one on each end, testing wires. Cost me $275.00 for a 1/2 inch of bare wire, but I never would have found it myself, so I gladly paid him. Ken Shawver at Defiance Transmission is the best.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts