Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
changed evap solenoid checked all hose's and gas cap everything looks good but check engine light still comes on :confused:

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
I believe that a bad hose can set that code, could be the one from the tank, Mine was rotted almost in half about 2 feet from the gas tank.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I had written something up on this with pics but can't seem to find it. Did hack scrap the old useless DB ??

Anyway, I found that when the canister starts to go it coughs up small charcoal bits into the vacuum lines. You must clean out the lines and make sure the canister is isolated either with an inline filter or buying a new one. Now that your new evap solenoid is probably stuck with charcoal bits I suggest putting it on the bench with a 12 volt source, operate it occasionally and use a long thin pick to get the bits out.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I took my solenoid off and I can blow threw it. Is it not suppose to be closed unless power is applied?

·
Registered
2 Posts
EVAP switch

EDIT: I had a code p0441, it was fixed by a incorrectly connect hose. Now the car throws a P1441.

I have the same code (p1441) on my 96. Can anyone tell me if the EVAP purge vacuum switch is typically open or closed when not powered?

The book says "the switch should be closed to ground with no vacuum present... " Im not exactly sure what that means. I can blow through it without resistance, does that mean its bad and needs to be replaced? I already replaced the solenoid because I could blow through it, not sure if it was bad, but the new ones i could not blow through.

I already checked all the lines, they seemed good. Only a few very small black specs came out. When I removed the line from the top gastank, it started hissing and relieving tank pressure, so I know it doesn't have a hole in it. I'm guessing the gascap is good as well, as it hisses and relieves pressure when I loosen it too.

Thanks, for any help that can be provided. I hope I can get it fixed soon, as it has to be before I can get a smog certificate.

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
The book says "the switch should be closed to ground with no vacuum present... " Im not exactly sure what that means. I can blow through it without resistance, does that mean its bad and needs to be replaced?
What it means is electrically the switch should be closed and have continuity with no vacuum applied.
if you were to plug one fitting and apply vacuum to the other then the switch should open.
the switch just monitors vacuum so being able to blow thru it is normal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If it normally blows threw, it may not be a bad switch then (the switch is an aftermarket one, so it's been replaced at some point). Other than replacing the canister or the switch, what would be left to check? I'm nearly positive the lines are all good, i replaced the solenoid valve, the gascap holds pressure... any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts