Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
0441 Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow

0443Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Malfunction

after replacing a brittle vacuum tube attatched to the purge solenoid i cleared the codes and it came back. then i replaced the emission purge solenoid with a new $40 AC Delco one, cleared the codes and it came back again.

I'm stumped and rather not take it in the shop right now. please help.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
I would say check the grounds at the drivers side head, if they are good, then FSM states possible bad PCM, but it states that it is highly unlikely, that is all that I can offer. Also note the ground for the solenoid is spliced to a bunch of other sensors and switches, the wire for the solenoid at that splice could be weak, also make sure the connection is good, i.e. the pins in the connector don't have corrosion or anything on them. Check the PCM connections as well. The diagnostic charts indicate though if problem persists after new solenoid then PCM is likely, but I really doubt it, check wires and connectors first.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Start by checking all the evap line all the way to the canister, and possibly all the way to the fuel tank.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, if i find the culprit, i'll put the old solenoid switch back in. Also if the canister is bad would it throw these codes? i suspect it will throw a different code.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ive had a locking gas cap for some years and always make sure it clicks when tightening.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok i replaced the locking gas cap and cleared the codes and the code 0441 did NOT come back although the 0443 code did. The purge valve i got ordered didnt have a sensor connect on it like the one does on my engine close sitting on the passenger side of the intake. wonder if i'm looking at the wrong valve.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
P0441 and P0443
I had written a detailed post about this nagging condition before the forum **** the bed. The solenoid and vac sensor become clogged with charcoal from a degrading canister.

Before buying new parts try cleaning them out.

Tap the vac sensor to release charcoal bits. (That's the first doohickie on the right side of the pic)
To the solenoid, apply (on and off) +12 from your fav used battery, computer power supply or jump box. Use a small probe, dental pick, or tooth pick if yer really hurtin' for tools. And tap tap tap all the charcoal bits out until you can hear the solenoid do the old in and out.

edit: further solution, which I'll get pics of, is to put a small filter (aquarium air supply filter) before the vac switch.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
this is great! thanks alot, ive been doing alot of searching. so i'll try this out. I noticed you said "degrading canister". I guess I'll be needing another one soon then. isn this under the pcm on the driver side or under the battery?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I know this is old but, for future reference, the canister is in front of the front passenger wheel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts