Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched but didn't find anything on anyone using coil over shocks. Checking Ebay recentky and saw QA1 and Viking selling coilover setups.

Anyone use these? Thought about doing it for the front. Viking had different spring rates, 250, 350, 450, and 550 lbs.

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
I wouldn't recommend coilovers on our cars. The lower shock mount area on the A-arm is designed to take the shock absorber load, but not the combined dynamic corner loads of the shock and spring combined.

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
I'll be mighty interested in hearing anyone who's chosen coilovers on a car not originally designed for it. And agree above with Bolt-on-. Outside of the usual PIA of swapping out coils I'd like to hear why the interest.

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about changing to tubular control arms.

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
OK. What about them. They're just really strong and pretty A-arms. We're all just going to be placeholders until someone who's used coil-overs feels compelled to chime in. My initial ? remains - what's driving the interest? Besides a really expensive alternate to what's already holding up the car.

Potentially less weight? Cleaner looks? Quicker change-out trackday?

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would think they are easier to install than the stock springs, better choice of different rate spring to dial in the feel of the car. Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
11,044 Posts
I read where someone tried the coilovers and they will rip the screws out of the lower arm. Unless you can reinforce the attachment point and mount them from the top side with a through bolt, I would not use them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts