Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if an aftermarket exhaust system and a K&N cold air intake would make a big difference in Fuel Economy for my LT-1?

My exhaust plans was for 2.5'' straight pipes with 40 series mufflers....Would this setup increase any horsepower? Any other advise?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Was wondering if an aftermarket exhaust system and a K&N cold air intake would make a big difference in Fuel Economy for my LT-1?

My exhaust plans was for 2.5'' straight pipes with 40 series mufflers....Would this setup increase any horsepower? Any other advise?
it would make a HUGE difference. those things are the major setbacks for our cars. 2.5" is the best size for our cars...anything more or less is unnecessary. as far as the flowmasters, they sound great but as far as flow is concerned, they are the worst flowing mufflers on the market and sell based on their name and sound alone. if you looking for max flow which would be great for future mods, go with the hooker aerochambers, spintechs, dynomax ultraflow ss, pypes, jegs, summit, or even the borlas. for the money, dynomax, pypes, hooker, jegs, and summit are your best options. i personally have used both the dynomax (which im currently running) and the pypes violator on my 1996 impala and i love the dynomax the best because with the resonators supplied in the kit, they are super super quiet at idle like the factory ones but the flow of them is in the top three as far as all the ones i mentioned above. plus the price of the jegs catback and dynomax catback cant be beat. for cold air, i am running the K&N FIPK and its great. nice growl when you get on it. but one thing i need to tell you is that when you do upgrade to the cai and 2.5" exhaust, your car will lose low end torque because of the loss in backpressure due to the free flowing exhaust. however, it does pick back up in the top end. you will notice it in the low and the top end. it wont take off as hard as it does now but it will pull harder in the upper rpm range.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
The OP was also about fuel economy. You have to be careful when you say it will make a HUGE difference. It might make some difference, but ........HUGE?? .....better explain what you mean.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
MPG..no, performance...a little, loss of low end power, no.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
it would make a HUGE difference. those things are the major setbacks for our cars. 2.5" is the best size for our cars...anything more or less is unnecessary. as far as the flowmasters, they sound great but as far as flow is concerned, they are the worst flowing mufflers on the market and sell based on their name and sound alone. if you looking for max flow which would be great for future mods, go with the hooker aerochambers, spintechs, dynomax ultraflow ss, pypes, jegs, summit, or even the borlas. for the money, dynomax, pypes, hooker, jegs, and summit are your best options. i personally have used both the dynomax (which im currently running) and the pypes violator on my 1996 impala and i love the dynomax the best because with the resonators supplied in the kit, they are super super quiet at idle like the factory ones but the flow of them is in the top three as far as all the ones i mentioned above. plus the price of the jegs catback and dynomax catback cant be beat. for cold air, i am running the K&N FIPK and its great. nice growl when you get on it. but one thing i need to tell you is that when you do upgrade to the cai and 2.5" exhaust, your car will lose low end torque because of the loss in backpressure due to the free flowing exhaust. however, it does pick back up in the top end. you will notice it in the low and the top end. it wont take off as hard as it does now but it will pull harder in the upper rpm range.
Aren't Borlas 2.25? Unless you need the stainless steel, I'd look elsewhere. There's also word out that Hooker has discontinued the aerochambers, so I hope you don't have your heart set on those. They're not CARB approved, either, so you may want to take that into consideration when making your decision. As far as I know, K&N is the only CARB approved intake for our cars, if they're still being manufactured. AS&M may have had one also, not too sure about that one.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Made no difference in fuel economy on my 96RMW,but a noticable improvement in acceleration from a dead start and when passing using 2nd gear.
Did not lose any low end power,but I do have stock tailpipes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts