Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well.. the first cold day in NY, and my "summer only" performance rated BridgeSTONE Potenza's are skipping across the pavement. Slidding around corners, spinning at every red light. And it's only 38 degrees out. Can't wait until it's 20 degree's outside !!

All I can say is NEVER AGAIN. From now on, it's only ALL SEASON RUBBER that does not get hard at 40 degrees outside !!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Time to swap out to your snow tires.

Why do you suppose they call them "summer only" tires?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by the blur:
well.. the first cold day in NY, and my "summer only" performance rated BridgeSTONE Potenza's are skipping across the pavement. Slidding around corners, spinning at every red light. And it's only 38 degrees out. Can't wait until it's 20 degree's outside !!

All I can say is NEVER AGAIN. From now on, it's only ALL SEASON RUBBER that does not get hard at 40 degrees outside !!!!!
yeap most performance tires get hard under 40 degrees. I havent' figured out how these ricers drive in the winter with kumho 712s. I had to drive in the snow the other day with them (before I got my snow tires) and I couldn't go anywhere at all. All the car did was spin. It didn't even grab. glad I got my winterforce tires

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Before I bought the wagon for our family needs, (son is soon to be 2 years old!) my toys were Miatas...last one I had I did the summer tire/winter tire thing. Put Toyo T-1's on in March for a road run to Atlanta and to Deal's Gap in Tennessee as a road trip. Got into some cold temps in the process of travelling and the Toyo's, under 40 degrees got very scarey and loose!

Learned my lesson and when the manufacturer says they are summer tires...they Are 'summer tires'!

Have to admit though, the Toyo T-1's were fun if the temps were above 60 degrees.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/423955/8

Now I prefer all season radials for the wagon...getting older with family and budget, I guess. LOL!

Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Booth9C1SS:
Time to swap out to your snow tires.
Why do you suppose they call them "summer only" tires?
no, not at all. There is NO snow, and I drive the car during the winter, except when there is snow on the ground. I have ZERO use for snow tires, as I drive my AWD van in the snow.

All I need is All season tires so the rubber doesn't go hard on me, and I could enjoy the car pretty much all year round.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.