Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the easiest way to remove the knob/end of the shift lever on a 91 OCC? I have not been able to figure it out without destroying the knob/end. The other option is to R&R the entire arm, and I have not been able to get the pin out successfully. Anybody have any tips, or special tools to do the job?

·
Registered
734 Posts
if its the same as a caprice take a hammer and like and nail and knock out the little pin that hold the arm or the colum and i use a sawzall and cut 90 percent dow then i used a dremil and took it flush to fill it.

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if its the same as a caprice take a hammer and like and nail and knock out the little pin that hold the arm or the colum and i use a sawzall and cut 90 percent dow then i used a dremil and took it flush to fill it.
I am not trying to remove the shift lever permanently, I just want to have a nice looking one. I have tried to knock out the pin, and have yet to be successful in doing so. I fear that I will break the column...I would like to find a press/tool that would push it out without pounding on it.

·
Registered
734 Posts
i deleted my period my pin came out wit out a problem i jus use a punch tool it jumped right out

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will try the drift again.

Anybody know how to get the end off of the arm without destroying it?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Did anyone ever find a good way to do this?

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up using a drift from the bottom, and the arm came off easily. I just used a slightly heavier hammer.

The knob on the end is pressed on, and with a number of hard raps with a hammer on the outer part beyond the arm, it came off as well. Now I am going to have to make a wood knob to replace the OEM plastic one.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Ooh that makes sense that I couldnt just twith off the rubber part. Im still a little confused as to how you removed the rubber part once you had the arm removed from the column though. Do you happen to have any pictures of it apart?

Nvm I think I understand what you did. Is it possible to replace the arm with one from another vehicle or were they specific to bbody sterring columns?

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are 2 styles for the B-bodies. The one for the tilt, and the one for the non tilt. They are not interchangable. I do not know if anything else fits. BTW the end of the arm is a splined shaft almost the full length of the knob.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts