Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried the search, but did not get too much out of it. Just curious with winter coming up on some changes. I have now a Comp Cam 503. It has worked very well. Just looking at stepping it up a bit. Looking for some input on the 306 version.
I have 4:10s, 3200 stall, and my LT1 is a 383.
Regards,
Matt.

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Compared to the 503, I think the 306 will be a turd except at the top end. I wouldn't do it.
If you want more cam, stick with the XE lobes, stepping up from the 224 XE intake of your 503 to something like 230 or 236. Or...........take all the guesswork out of it and get a custom-spec'd cam from AI or LE.
What is your static CR?

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
Compared to the 503, I think the 306 will be a turd except at the top end......
Pat,

Having had the 306 cam and one very similar to the 503 cam (me and Noel had a Comp Cams grind with the same durations but with higher lift) I'd say you're absolutely correct!!.

The 306 was very weak below 3K rpms......but pulled like a bitch going past 4K rpms. It has all the good and bad charactoristics of the HOT cam......just magnified. It's a bad choice for a heavy car.....even in a stroked engine.

The 503 cam will pull hard right off throttle (with the right set-up) right up to 5500 rpms (or so). But you'll feel it starting to lose steam above 4K rpms.

In my personal experience.

KW

·
Premium Member
7,329 Posts
I have the CC306. Just like KW said it's a dog until you get to 3k and then it's like a switch is flipped and the power turns on.
The only pros I would give it is that it has fat lazy lobes(not exactly a "pro" either), so for a street car you will get a nice lumpy cam that is easy on the valve train. My stroker has 45k on it and never a single problem with the motor.
Cons are it has medium power, but you aren't going to win many races with it because it just doesn't pull hard enough, and it doesn't pull hard enough through enough of the rpm band. Your gas mileage will be bad compared to the power you get in return.

From what I have read, the technology used when designing this cam is 30 years old and it was designed for cars weighing about 600 pounds (or lighter) less than our cars.

I do not recommend this cam for a B-body.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the input.
Thanks guys. I will just wait until I do a refresh and get a cam/ head package.
Regards,
Matt.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
From the little research that I have done, this forum and talking to a tech at Comp cams, the 503 will like the extra CI in the 383 stroker. Thats why I chose the 503. Next motor will be a 383.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts