Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here running them? I think they are of good quality and a good match for the CM-614 springs. Where did you get them and what all came with them? What kind of nuts did they come with?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Most of us run the comp cams pro-magnum roller rockers. Got mine through Combination Motorsports -- but they have merged and I cannot recall their new name. Haven't really seen much about them since the merge, actually.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Raxstone:
Most of us run the comp cams pro-magnum roller rockers. Got mine through Combination Motorsports -- but they have merged and I cannot recall their new name. Haven't really seen much about them since the merge, actually.
found a place on e-bay sellin em for $265. those, springs, locks, retainers were like $502 shipped

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have them and they are very nice. Best price is from combination Motorsports, but the service is slow. http://www.cmotorsports.com/94-96-impala/engine.html
For a couple of dollars more you can get them from Summit Racing. http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&searchinresults=false&N=+115&y=7&Ntt=1318%2D16&x=30

They are probably the highest quality out there. They come with the rockers and locks. I have a how to write up at if you have an interest. http://www.impalasuperstore.com/naisso/Forum2005/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40758

Most people will go with 1.6 ratio self aligning if your using a stock cam and heads.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got mine for $60+ cheaper than Summit on ebay a couple of weeks ago. 1.6 self-aligning for something like $260 with free shipping and a free T-shirt. They were delivered in 3 days too. User ID "discountperformanceparts"

Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did think about the pro magnums but the price tag kinda threw me off. Do I have to modify the valve covers with the pro magnums? Also, did you guys set the lash with the engine off or on?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The pro mags do need the baffles in the vavle cover to be pinched flat. It's a 5 minute job, and is not difficult.
On my own car I set them cold with the engine off and it runs great. It's been the method the factory has used since 1955 on the small block Chevy. I have done some hot with the motor running for those who prefer that method. It is basically a matter of preference.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well after a few months I finally found the time to install them. It went pretty smoothly for the most part. I do notice a bunch of valvetrain noise with these. Comp Cams recommends 1/2 a turn after finding zero lash and thats what I did. Some people recommend 1/2-1 turn. When should i go ahead and relash them? Also, am I to change my oil any specific time after this? I added comp cams mags, comp cams pushrods, and cm 614 springs. Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds good. I started it back up this morning, no loud startup noise at all. There is just 1-2 rocker arms on the passenger side that are intermittently clicking kinda loud. They are both tightened to spec. They sound loose but aren't. Is this what pro mag owners talk about when they say the rockers are "noisy?"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The preload is determined by which lifter you use. If you switched to comp cam lifter then go with their spec of 1/2 turn. Otherwise if you use the stock lifter go with the 3/4 to 1 turn that is recommended. I have mine at 7/8 of a turn and they are as quiet as stock and it runs great.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you want, you can try another 1/8 to 1/4 turn to quiet down the rockers making the noise. The lifters or pushrods on those rockers may be a little different. Still within spec, mind you, just a tad shorter than the others. I got a couple of noisy rockers when I installed the GMPP rockers on my car, and that's how I cured them. The car's run great ever since.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pro Mags are the noisy rockers. Some have commented they make the car sound like a sewing machine. I setmy at 1/4 Turn (while engine running) and they're still quiet. I think I have the only quiet set of Pro Mags..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by Buffman:
Pro Mags are the noisy rockers. Some have commented they make the car sound like a sewing machine. I setmy at 1/4 Turn (while engine running) and they're still quiet. I think I have the only quiet set of Pro Mags..
Ah --------------mime are quite also. I set my 7/8 turn cold

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.