Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have the Eaton posi (aftermarket) with 3.42 gears in my '94 Roadmaster Wagon. I had a full size spare tire in it, but decided to switch to a compact spare to reduce some weight (I like the bark when I hit second gear)... and make it easier to get the spare out of its storage area when I need it.

The compact spare is about 2.5" less diameter than the standard P225/75 tire (when both are off the car). [I estimate the compact spare is 1.75" less diameter than the standard P225/75 tire when under load on the car.] My question is... If I have to use the compact spare on the rear, will it damage the Eaton posi?

I would think having one tire smaller than the other on the rear would cause the Eaton to constantly have to slip. My thinking is that 20 miles to a tire center wouldn't be bad, but how about 200 or even 500 miles to make it home when on a trip?

Thanks,
Kevin.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
If you do not mind the extra work, put the mini spare on the front, and put the front on the rear.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys... I hope this isn't 'age related'. I really think I am too young for 'senior moments' (49).

Anyways, Fabulous Idea! Its worth a little extra work to 'keep her as light as possible'.

Kevin.

·
Super Moderator
8,891 Posts
I have found that the amount of weight I saved did not offset the convenience of having a spare that fits on any wheel. I have gone to full-size spares in all my cars for this exact reason. Also, full-size spares don't seem to leak out air over time nearly as fast as the mini ones.

·
Registered
8,686 Posts
FWIW I was part of the class action settlement back when about GM not fitting the "SS" with a "full size spare" case was going on. There were many points in the litigation but the diameter difference of the 15" steel rim "civi" tire that came with the SS was less that the 27" SS tire and "rear end damage" was noted as a resulting concern if the smaller diameter tire was used.

what really made the point was the SS was sold with 'full size spare" noted among the language on the window sticker. A 15" rim "civi" tire was not "full size" for a SS.

I got a check for $200, bought a rim from Dal for about $125 and then bought a 255/50 x 17 tire for around $100...this was years ago.

....so as noted if you are going to use the 'compact spare" as a spare put it on the front

does not take much modding to bark the tires in 2nd with the T56..... and with the right ones 3rd gear bark is also cool :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts