Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys here is my situation, I had just rebuilt my motor and installed some budget headers so i had some custom ac lines made up. While I was at it I put in a new orifice tube and reciever dryer. Well now my compressor clutch went out, it was smoking and then started to come apart. So now I am wondering if i shouldn't just replace the whole compressor since the clutch started to come apart. And if I do replace the whole compressor do I need to replace the orfice tube and reciever dryer since I had just done that less than 1000 miles ago. It actually broke the accessory mount where the compressor bolts to and where the tensior bolts to. I have a new accessory mount on the way. I figured that I would put a new belt tensior on also.

Thanks for the help in advance

Chad

·
Registered
885 Posts
Since you will be changing the compressor, its quite easy and fast to swap, and the system will be discharged. I would put plastic cap in the ac hoses while installing the compressor. Dryer get moisture and is no good if left to open air for too long.

after using 2 used compressor on my cars, next time its a new reman unit, I just hates slow leaks and rust eat up everything.

I would reuse the tensioner tho. Check out if its housing is cracked, then open it so you'll know the pulley bearing condition, and you can grease up the spring in there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.