Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My A/C compressor is leaking Freon / oil where the case meets, front half to back half. or where the front shaft seal is.
Is there a good replacement compressor out there?

·
Registered
380 Posts
The 4 Seasons premium compressor says it has dowel pins locating the two parts. They claim GM did not used dowels between the parts. i just installed a 4 Seasons compressor on my 95 Caprice wagon. Cold air now. I got it from RockAuto.

Ken

·
Registered
83 Posts
I was told I had a similar issue with a compressor i got on amazon. I forget the brand. But, the shop I took it to warranted a the recharge for up to a year. After about 10 months I noticed my air was not as cold. The shop said the compressor was leaking in the same place you describe. I replaced the 10 month old compressor with a delphi unit which is so far working fine but when I took the 10 month old compressor one out there was no sign of dye or a leak other than a bit of dye where the hoses connect to the compressor. I asked the mechanic about this when going to get the delphi unit recharged and he said they sprayed it clean with brake cleaner...I think the 10 month old compressor was probably fine and just needed to be tightened where the refrigerant lines meet the compressor or at worst new seals. turned out to be a good time to swap though as there were a bunch of metal shaving stuck in the old 10 month old orfice tube which I was happy to get out of the system but I think the compressor was fine and that the shavings were from the previous compressor that locked up on me and took out my starter.

anyways my point is to verify the leak is from the compressor and not somewhere else. compressors are a b1tch to replace on these cars. Wish I did the bracket mod to make it easier to get the compressor off the first time I did the swap, but if I need to do it a third time its ready now. I'm sure this delphi unit will out last me now lol.

·
Super Moderator
8,232 Posts
For what it's worth, they sell compressor rebuild kits on Ebay for like $25 that have all new seals. These compressors are pretty easy to disassemble and rebuild (assuming they haven't self destructed). I've had iffy luck with GPD and 4 seasons compressors on other vehicles; I went back to factory Denso compressors on my Chrysler vans and haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
The mod is actually in the FSM. Rear bracket, the one that bolts on the compressor, and then is on the block with a stud. On 94/5, that has a hole for a stud. So, you put in the vise, and slice the hole open so you can slip it over the stud.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Wish I did the bracket mod to make it easier to get the compressor off the first time I did the swap, but if I need to do it a third time its ready now.
What is this mod and, more importantly, where do I find out more details about it?
See quote below. Basically there is a hole in the compressor bracket that attaches to the block. You turn that hole into a slot. This allows you to remove the compressor easily and more importantly without removing the entire bolt, which can be a royal pita to get back in.

The mod is actually in the FSM. Rear bracket, the one that bolts on the compressor, and then is on the block with a stud. On 94/5, that has a hole for a stud. So, you put in the vise, and slice the hole open so you can slip it over the stud.
^^^ this is the mod

Does this mod apply to the 1996 ?
I don't believe so. I think GM took care of this in 96

1 - 9 of 9 Posts