Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here??

Well anyway, I've been thinking lately about building a computer using the smallest case I can find. I already have a soundblaster 5.1 Audigy 2 card, DVD drive, etc etc. From the SB card, I will hookup all the amps to it. Basically, the PC will be the main source. I will use the factory radio to feed into the computer when I want to listen to a station. I'll use a low level to high level converter to connect the radio's signal into the back of the soundcard.

For the screen, I will buy 2 10.4" flatpanel/Touchscreen monitors and mount them somewhere in the center infront of the radio and also somewhere in the back for passengers, perhaps on some kind of flexible stand. It will look like a regular tv monitor, but it's actually a VGA screen. Look for it on ebay. No hassle with a mouse, just touch screen! I'll use a compact wireless keyboard incase I need to type anything.

I will have MP3, DVD, wireless internet, etc all in the car. I will probably store the PC in the back compartment if it's small enough.

A laptop you say? I don't have $1200 for one. I just need to spend about $300 for the rest of the gadgets.

So what do you all think? I can control everything from the touchscreen, (volume, equalizer, crossover, etc) and also full 5.1 Dolby Digital surround when playing DVD's. Oh yea, also, any suggestions for a center speaker?

Jason

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I remember wanting to do the same thing and while doing research I ran across someone that made a 1/2 din center speaker. If you got a single din head unit you could use that. I think it was someone like audiovox, jvcm, something like that. if I remember right I found it on pricegrabber.com

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
all your questions will be answered here MP3Car.com

I'll post some pics of what I'm doing for a front monitor in a while

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
XENARC 7" VGA LCD touchscreen mounted on a custom slide in the ashtray rail bracket and is hidden behind the ashtray faceplate when closed

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I gonna have to say that's absolutely creative, jboy. I would love to do the same thing, but I sort of want a 10" screen instead. Is that a touchscreen as well? Hey Fleetwood, that looks like a good sized case, will it fit in the compartment area in the wagon? Pimpin I'm gonna look for that DIN sized center speaker and see if I can find any. Thanks you guys....

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jboy, I don't know what to say, you kinda sort of stole my idea!!

Unfortunately since mine isn't finished yet, you get the credit. Mine is a bit different too: I'm using an unpackaged LCD display with a custom enclosure, not the off-the-shelf Xenarc that you are using, mine also hinges at the opposite side. When finished, it will open up to reveal a couple of USB 2.0 ports, and a slot loading DVD-ROM drive. Glad to see someone else working on a similar project though, and I'm also glad to see someone else realized that the ashtray is the PERFECT place to mount a computer.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a great idea....I tried to do this years ago but ran ou of time. However there is a manufacturer who has built a good non-laptop in car pc that more closely matches the CD style in dash form factor.
you can run multiple wireless wide are networks cards (GSM/GPRSCDMA 1xrtt...etc) in the unit to have seamless coverage. It's beyond your budget and mine....but it's cool.

Here is the link.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Opus case is exactly what I'm looking for. Should I invest in that? ;) Also, any idea if that DC - DC power supply will handle a 10,000 RPM SCSI drive and a 1.3 GHz Duron?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by SmoothRM:
The Opus case is exactly what I'm looking for. Should I invest in that? ;) Also, any idea if that DC - DC power supply will handle a 10,000 RPM SCSI drive and a 1.3 GHz Duron?
What else are you going to run off the supply? CD, DVD, CDR, Monitor......

you may be getting close to the 150w of the opus check out KEYPOWER. look at the +12 and +5 current ratings as this is what the drives and monitor need

if you need more help check MP3CAR.com and if you want a good front end gui that doesn't look like windows check MediaEngine

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh Yea, KEYPOWER baby! I may very well need it. I am using a K7S5A ECS mobo, Duron 1.3, 10K SCSI HD 18GB, 1 combo burner with DVD reader, and a couple of fans..that's pretty much all I have. I want to add a TV/FM tuner later on but I doubt it will use much more power. Think all this will work with the 150w? Lots of good info so far, thanks guys.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that's pushing the 150w opus w/ the burner and dvd, the supply is not cheap so having the extra power will be nice if you want to add more on later. the case fans can be run off the car directly w/o any problem, but they only draw afew watts each anyway

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmm, so if that 250w supply will be more expensive than the 150w, should I just go ahead and by me a 1000watt inverter instead? For a Coleman inverter, they run around $90 or so on Ebay. As big as it sounds, I'm sure it's not going to gobble up the battery power since the computer won't put very much of a load on it...now if I hook up a full sized refrigerator to it, that's a diff. story.. hehehe Only thing I won't have is that automatic shutoff feature of the DC-DC supply. I should be starting on this proj. around mid January.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
some inverters will give a hum in the speakers and cheap ones can kill a computer PS

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You can get a modded x-box with a 200gb hard drive, upgraded dvd drive and the mod chip which is a form of linux and runs evo-x for the desktop. this way you can "copy" your xbox games to the hard drive along with any and all mp3s, dvds, mpeg, divx, you name it the box will run it. uses x-box media player. so not only will you have a video game system but it will be a complete multimedia center. this is what i plan on doing with my x-box when i get it all back together. this was an old post but im bored and looking through them and thought id toss out the idea. itd probably end up being cheaper modding an xbox than buying the parts for a computer.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the x-box mod is good if all you want to use it for is music, video, and games. I am using the carputer for music, gps, video, email, mame game emulators (yea I got pong), and any other pc software of choice. the linux os does not have the software to make it worth while yet.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey i've had this dream but havent had the money o build my own system, but i have help all my friends do it to there cars. I am capable of building any of the systems you mentioned above. And could ship them to you. If anyone is interested please let me know. I hope to do my system soon.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts