Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
It's certainly possible. You would have to make some kind of pod to hold it, but I think there should be room. You may run into some depth problems though. The easiest way to tell is to get the measurements of the speakers you wanna run, take off the panel that the old tweeter attaches to and see if there is enough room. I have 1" tweeters in there and there is more than enough room. I could probably fit 3 or 4 back there.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I haven't found any direct replacements. Some kind custom setup will be required.

It is simple to remove your tweeters to see what you are up against. Remove the screw by the handle and carefully work the speaker panel off the handle. The speaker is glued onto the panel, so use a scraper to separate it. There a small rectangular frame/spacer between the speaker and the grill. It has alignment pins on it. You likely have to cut slots into a replacement tweeter deck to align it.

Let me know if you find any specs on the original speaker or any replacment speakers.

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
I haven't found any direct replacements. Some kind custom setup will be required.

It is simple to remove your tweeters to see what you are up against. Remove the screw by the handle and carefully work the speaker panel off the handle. The speaker is glued onto the panel, so use a scraper to separate it. There a small rectangular frame/spacer between the speaker and the grill. It has alignment pins on it. You likely have to cut slots into a replacement tweeter deck to align it.

Let me know if you find any specs on the original speaker or any replacment speakers.
it's plastic welded in place, and required drilling to remove it. I used some delco tweeters out of a vette back there.

·
Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
I put aftermarket 1" tweeters in my wagon's CS II door panel inserts. Took me about 2 hours for both. The stock tweeters can be disassembled (although you destroy them when you do that) and then used as a mounting setup for the new ones. I used a drill press and a hole saw to put the new ones in, then secured them with hot glue. They've been fine since.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I used some delco tweeters out of a vette back there.
I remember you mentioning that before. You were supposed to get me some info on those.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I put aftermarket 1" tweeters in my wagon's CS II door panel inserts. Took me about 2 hours for both. The stock tweeters can be disassembled (although you destroy them when you do that) and then used as a mounting setup for the new ones. I used a drill press and a hole saw to put the new ones in, then secured them with hot glue. They've been fine since.
Sounds like what I was planning to do. There was some Onkyo Delco tweeters for sale real cheap [like 200 for $10... not a typo). I was just trying to get some info on the OEM tweeters, like power rating, impedance, and frequency response to see if they were close.
http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=228510

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
Sounds like what I was planning to do. There was some Onkyo Delco tweeters for sale real cheap [like 200 for $10... not a typo). I was just trying to get some info on the OEM tweeters, like power rating, impedance, and frequency response to see if they were close.
http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=228510

I don't see any of us ever finding out that information, and since they're tweeters, I feel it's a moot point. They're wired off the front speakers

I no longer have the car, so it would be up to Cory to pull the door handle bezel and get you a part #

·
Registered
769 Posts
I don't see any of us ever finding out that information, and since they're tweeters, I feel it's a moot point. They're wired off the front speakers
Of course they would wired off the front speakers, but these actually had a 2nd order high-pass filter and were not just the usual cheap junk found in most GM cars.
Other reasons that I want the info

I no longer have the car, so it would be up to Cory to pull the door handle bezel and get you a part #
If you could remember the year of the vette and if it was an optional or standard system, I could probably get the part numbers.

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
that's the thing, I don't remember. I tried quick looking yesterday but couldn't find anything. They're square, and IIRC I thought the auction said mids 90s vette. It's been 4yrs..

·
Registered
806 Posts

I heard Cory Madoff blew a head gasket... is he gonna part out your old car but not send anybody their parts again?

·
Registered
806 Posts
I wouldn't put too much effort into trying to find an actual replacement tweeter. Right now I have the 1" tweeter from my component set mounted on the door support right behind the concert tweeter grille. Probably another per side later on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.