Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I had the car on a lift and was telling the mechanic that it kinda wobbles from side-to-side if I slightly swerve on the highway.

He grabbed a hold of the ti-rods and jiggled them and they moved about ¼" each way. He said this was very bad and suggested I replace all kinds of stuff under there which I am going to do ASAP.

While the parts are en route, what kind of dangers might occur with loose ti-rods like this? Do I run a risk of something just, falling off and I go flying off the road? Do I run more of a risk going around corners at high rates of speed? Should I avoid highways altogether?

I realize no one can give a good estimation since you can't touch and see everything on my front end but an idea would be nice.

Thanks guys.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If the guy was twisting the sleeve back and forth , they do move.
If you have a tie rod moving 1/4 " side ways and the stud is staying still, PARK IT.
Gerry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree. On my old 77 caprice I broke the outer tie rod end. The socket pulled out of its hole. I was cutting it hard in the driveway, so I got lucky.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At highway speeds, you can wreck and get killed, or worse yet, kill an innocent party. Nothing to screw with.

I had a left lower ball joint shear the stud at the ball a few weeks ago just backing from my driveway. I just returned, minute before, from 300 miles at 70 MPH. I was the luckiest guy in town that night.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The joints do swivel (rotate) a little in the knuckle ball, but if the socket is loose in the hole, may as well just replace the steering bar or corresponding spindle. That hole will be hogged out and you'll never get a tight socket fit again. When that happens the feeling is exactly the same as the common 'gradual turning steering surge' that us Fleetwooders get.

Spaugh, Charlie, I got one;

I snapped a ball joint parking at Toronto International's garage and had the main aisle blocked 1-1/2 hours waiting for two tows to show up. As pee-ode as everyone else was, and me watching the goofs destroy a chrome fender panel, not to mention how much I was gonna be forking out to a garage in a foreign city for repair (Missouri plates stick out up there), I was still smiling only thinking how lucky I was. I had just come off the interstate from Hamilton (the 407?) frequently hitting the 109mph speed limiter for the past 40 minutes.

p.s. that garage ended up having the car ready by my Monday morning flight back in, and treated me real decent on price.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For some reason, in every broken tie-rod story I've ever heard, they fell apart at very slow speeds. I wonder why that is? It would definitely suck to happen on the highway.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by FUN 9C1:
For some reason, in every broken tie-rod story I've ever heard, they fell apart at very slow speeds. I wonder why that is? It would definitely suck to happen on the highway.
Maybe the high-speed guys can't type any more.

Seriously, there is more load on the joints at higher angles during tight turning situations
Not saying these high loads couldn't happen at speed, it is just less common.
Gerry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seriously, there is more load on the joints at higher angles during tight turning situations
Yup. Loose the power assist at any speed above a crawl and you can still turn the wheel. Try turning the wheel at slow speed or stopped...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
10-4 on sucking at high speed! That's why I run a real Fleetwood, at least I'd have a fighting chance if it did. But, thanks be it didn't or else Graywolf in Mississauga would have part of a parts car available to him in some salvage yard up there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gerry took the words out of my mouth (fingers)...the low speed failures usually just result in needing the car towed and some new parts...the high speed failures probably result in death.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.