Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 96 Impala SS ~97k miles. I just recently had the original OEM plugs replaced. The replacement plugs are Bosch Iridiums.

It wasn't until this evening that I found several posts stating do not use Bosch anything.

A couple of posts mentioned Bosch O2 and/or plugs do not work well with our engines. It does concern me that it seems to be close to universal on this board. However, I do not know what the consequences are of using these plugs.

What are the consequences of using Bocsh? Is it simply a matter of failing/needing to replace sooner, or is it something more.

Obviously, I wish I would have known about this prior. Now, I am simply attempting to determine what I should do now that they are installed.

I ran a search for bosch spark plugs and came up with 12 threads which really didnt shed any light on this--other than admonishing not to use Bocsh or Bosch=crap.

I'd appreciate some more info on this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
I installed 4 BOSCH O2 sensors once.
The damn car ran like crap after, so I installed some used GM O2's
-ran great!

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
I have a 96 Impala SS ~97k miles. I just recently had the original OEM plugs replaced. The replacement plugs are Bosch Iridiums.
from googling them they are a single ground electrode?
if so I would run them, the multiple prong bosch's are crap in LT1s and iridium is a good conductor.
just be aware if the wires, opti and opti vacuum harness are original and never been serviced, you may have issues with them at anytime at your mileage.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
My bad experiences were with Bosch Platinum plugs. The electrode was so thin that it would quickly (for a platinum plug, say 10,000 miles maybe) burn up, increasing the gap and causing misfires. The center electrode design is the same on all Bosch Platinum plugs, regardless of the number of ground electrodes, making all of them crap. I cannot speak to the new Iridium plugs. However, you generally get what you paid for. If they were cheap, expect reduced service life.

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
There's no risk in running them. I wouldn't spend the money on them.
But since you already have them in there, there's no need to worry at all about them.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
FWIW, I runs a repair shop. I deal with misfiring Gm & ford engines on a regular basis. I have replaced more Bosh spark plugs that the customer installed due to price or whatever stupid excuse they give at the time when I tell them they need new plugs. I have seen the Bosch make a Gm vortec style engine run worse when installed after doing a routing tune-up. Some people use them because they cost less than the Iridiium plugs. You will notice something after they get some mileage on them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate everyone's time. I am a less concerned now. It sounds like I may be out some more money later if these are no more durable than the platinums.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Dude, had em ran em! +2, 4 and whatever else they had. Trust me when i say that when u have other problems, they'll be the least of ur worries. Use em till tgey go and fix other crap.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
You would think after 25+ years at least some folks would simply take our word for it.

Reactions: Marky Dissod

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
You would think after 25+ years at least some folks would simply take our word for it.
LOL It's like trying to tell your kids what to do. Everyone learns in their own way I guess. We do appreciate the experience and advice given here. As slow as things can be here (compared to the way it used to be), I still far, far, far prefer this to BookFace!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts