Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The time has come to take the plunge into committing the time to replace the OEM opti and WP after 24 years. I've read the threads on cheap opti's etc, and as OEM is nowhere to be found it looks like my options are the Summit;

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-850060/questionsanswers/#qa-display-detail

or the petris (am emailing them to confirm availability on 5/30;

https://petrisenterprises.com/products/1995-1997-optispark-distributor?variant=6413873859

I don't mind paying for quality, especially for all the labor involved with tearing down the front of the motor to do this? This is for my 1 owner barn find 95 SS, that has about 130k now, and will be my son's first car. We'll do the work together and take our time and do it right.

The Summit part also recommends a new harness, and after 24 years I think that might be a good idea.

Any feedback appreciated.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Given what I have read, I would go with the Petris unit.

If your current opti is still working, I would just put a new MSD cap & rotor on it and just clean up the inside of the original opti and use red loc tite on the rotor screws. A skim coat of dialectic grease on the large O rings between cap & base of opti

if you feel you also nee a new 4 pin harness, IW

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
The time has come ....OEM opti and WP after 24 years.
24 years might be a maintenance interval for some parts, but not outright demand for replacement.

...all the labor involved with tearing down the front of the motor to do this?
Searching the R&R procedure will give threads with great time and material and frustration saving hints. For a 1st-timer it can take 2 hours completely in the dark without a plan, or, about 45 minutes if armed with good direction and sequence and shortcuts.

....has about 130k now......
That ain't a mandate to replace, just the right mileage for a COMPLETE 'tune-up' cap, rotor, cleaning, reseal the seals, thoroughly and carefully check function of vent harness/checkvalves if your year has one. Great threads on the entire procedure.

and will be my son's first car. We'll do the work together and take our time and do it right.
Applaudable mission, great time together, and PERFECT teaching opportunity on care and patience.

The Summit part also recommends a new harness, and after 24 years I think that might be a good idea.
I never take a car parts site for guidance or recommendation on whether to buy more parts. If yours ain't broke or loose or giving symptoms of poor connection, then just glop in some di-electric and go.

Any feedback appreciated.
See red.

Also, Mitsubishi grade is not necessarily Mitsubishi, - accepted as the most reliable sensor. You can save about $250 over that last link by simply rebuilding the distributor you already have. The magic is if the bearing still free-wheels and not feeling sticky/loose/worn. Just be careful withe first 4 tiny case/cap bolts, they break too damn easy if not enough coaxing/PBBlaster, heat/tapping. But there's always drilling and tap chasing for a fix. Just need a drill press and patience - ask me how I know. There's a thread on that too.

Do plugs/wires while everything is apart. Buy some gray stripe loom. Threads all over the place on that whole R&R.

EDIT: Cliffs: What BALLSS says above hahaha

·
Registered
976 Posts
Honestly if it works I would NOT replace it, especially with an aftermarket one.
If you're not up for rebuilding it yourself, send the opti to the gentleman on ebay that rebuilds them.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/322692854278

Most aftermarket ones aren't great, and from what I saw with a reman ACDelco it isn't great either but @ least had an original Mistsubishi sensor in there.
https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/34-engine-problems-maintenance/1313788-ac-delco-reman-optispark-dissection.html

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
Ace, Glad to see you're still kickin. I was wondering how your car was doing. With that said, I don't think I have ever touched an opti BUT I have read just about every thread since I joined here. Lots of discussions about the opti and as Black & babe said try to keep yours. I went to the links you provided and the Petris one with the Mitsubishi grade jumped out at me. Black pointed that out above. If you should do the rebuild I would check what 4DoorSS posted about venting. Several here have used the Ebay dude that babe gave you and from my reading they have been pleased.

Just a High School Graduidiot.

Mark: Snowman-33

1 - 5 of 5 Posts