Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all--if everything goes according to plan, I hope to become a regular poster. That is, if my Taurus SHO and the Roadmaster I'm looking to purchase don't combine to annihilate each other :)

Anyway, looking at a 94 RMS, decent overall with 141k. The speedo is straight up not working, and I believe the car is in limp mode; It initially starts out in first gear and upshifts to second and third, but once that happens, it will only change between second and third manually, with first a no-go. Because of the car's location, I'm not able to get it up to enough speed for overdrive. Reverse is also fine. There is no CE light, and I've not been able to scan for codes, as I don't have a reader and the car is presently unlicensed and many many miles from a parts store. I know, a scan could help answer questions, but right now I'm just trying to get a general idea of what I could be looking at (read: I'm trying to determine if this is a major trans rebuild or something a bit easier).

With a non-op speedo and car in limp mode, could I be looking at a VSS? How difficult is a VSS replacement on these cars? Any answers post haste would be helpful, as I'm hoping to get the car tomorrow. And, because my Taurus SHO just broke down today :eek:

Anyway, thanks for any/all the help!

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
VSS can be done, but is a MAjor PITA to get to with the stock trans cross member in the way, but can be done.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
You can check for codes in the electronic climate control and be looking for:
PCM diagnostic codes... (-00)
24: Vehicle speed sensor (VSS) circuit. (If it is your problem)

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I'm about 90% sure the 4L60E will not shift gears at all without the VSS.

The symptoms you're describing sounds like 2 problems, bad solenoid in the trans, and a non-functioning instrument cluster.

Short answer: Trans build likely not needed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for this info--I'll give the climate control diag a whirl this afternoon.

I also forgot to mention that the anti-lock light is lit; could that have anything to do with the non-op speedo?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I now have a 94 Roadmaster sedan sitting in my garage, thanks to the advice from this thread. Gave the instrument cluster a few taps and the speedo sprang to life while driving it home. Pulled the codes, PCM shows 32 (EGR) and 84 (3-2 solenoid), and from what I gather, both are fairly simple fixes.

ABS light is lit, however no codes were listed for that. Also, how does one reset the change oil light?

Other than these few bits and a good cleaning, this car should be pretty stout in no time. Thanks again for the advice--I often try to remember how car enthusiasts survived before the internet!

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
turn the change oil light off by turning the key on and pressing the gas pedal to the floor 3 full pumps. It should flash and go out :)

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Good job, is your camera broken? cwm1

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Most decidedly not--there will be many pics to come as this car as a bit of a mission :)

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Welcome, search is your friend, there is a lot of good info here.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Well, I now have a 94 Roadmaster sedan sitting in my garage, thanks to the advice from this thread. Gave the instrument cluster a few taps and the speedo sprang to life while driving it home. Pulled the codes, PCM shows 32 (EGR) and 84 (3-2 solenoid), and from what I gather, both are fairly simple fixes.

ABS light is lit, however no codes were listed for that. Also, how does one reset the change oil light?

Other than these few bits and a good cleaning, this car should be pretty stout in no time. Thanks again for the advice--I often try to remember how car enthusiasts survived before the internet!
Glad you decided to get it. They are very nice, powerful cars. That climate control feature is a great tool. I've never seen that in any other car. My 94 has a "change oil light" reset button inside the left end of the dash. You have to open the driver door and pull the access panel off the side of the dash to get to it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts