Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering Purchasing a 1994 Caprice with a 350, it is a high mileage, but well cared for car. My question is how do I know what engine is in it? I have recently learned that their are 2 different 350ci engines, is this true? I would appreciate help.

Quinn

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Welcome to the forum!

There are 2 different LT1 engines. The 5.7L 350 version is the one you want. This one has a "327" number stamped into the block. There is a much easier way to tell, but I don't remember what that is.
I'm sure someone here will know.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it IS a 1994, then there are only 2 possibilities: The LT1 350, with a "P" as the eighth digit of the VIN; or the L99 4.3 V8 (looks practically identical to the LT1), with the "W" as the eighth digit. Or, you can pop the trunk, look at the SPID sticker with all the codes, and it will have either LT1 or L99. Also look for G80, which is a posi rear end.

An LT1 will have factory dual exhaust, and an L99 will have single exhaust exiting on the passenger side only.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by 94SSman:
Welcome to the forum!

There are 2 different LT1 engines. The 5.7L 350 version is the one you want. This one has a "327" number stamped into the block. There is a much easier way to tell, but I don't remember what that is.
There are 2 different LT1's? I didn't know that. What was the other one? Or are you referring to the LT-1 as the second?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Raxstone:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 94SSman:
Welcome to the forum!

There are 2 different LT1's? I didn't know that. What was the other one? Or are you referring to the LT-1 as the second? </font>[/QUOTE]He must be referring to the L99 4.3 as the "baby LT1".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by DeadGame APBT:
I am considering Purchasing a 1994 Caprice with a 350, it is a high mileage, but well cared for car. My question is how do I know what engine is in it? I have recently learned that their are 2 different 350ci engines, is this true? I would appreciate help....
Quinn,

If it's a 1994 Caprice......and has a 350ci engine......then it's a LT1 engine.

That's the only 350 available in our cars from 1994 to 1996.

And as mentioned, look for the 'P' in the VIN to verify that it's the LT1 ;) .

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the veci(vehicle emission control information) sticker on the radiator shroud is the best way to tell what size the engine is.

or the 8th digit of the vin as posted above.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All this is great....except like it was mentioned earlier...look at the engine cast # to know for sure. Trunk lid could be changed, rad cover could be changed, exhaust is probally changed. And if it is a 9C1 4.3 it has all the stuff(G80, dual exhaust, coolers,...blah blah) that make these cars fun; and a motor swap/4.3 to 5.7 could have happened in 1998 by some mechanic who worked on the cop car and thought the engine was a "vette motor".

I just bought a 1994 Caprice that 4-5 guys on this board thought was a wrecked Taxi and said stay away from it because of the vin #(P). After giving $2100 for it and driving it from New York to Texas I ran the numbers on the engine after seeing the aluminum heads on the so called "4.3 wrecked Taxi" to find it was a corvette LT-1 that someone put in in place of the 4.3....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is partly true Woodman13, an LT1 swap might have occurred. However, the 4.3L (L99 on the SPID) would NOT have dual exhaust unless someone put it on there after. Not even the 4.3L 9C1's had dual exhuast. Secondly, no matter what some 'mechanic' might have done to the car, the 'P' in the 8th digit of the VIN means the car was built with the LT1. As mentioned, the L99 and LT1 look the same, so check the VIN. Also, somewhere there is a thread that discusses the casting #'s which were on the LT1. There were a few different castings for the LT1, so you'd have to know all of them for that verification to work.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks alot for all the responces. I have decided to buy the car, and is an LT1 Car. The Reason that I had thought that it may not be is bcause I thought that their was possibly another "Low Performance" 350 motor, perhaps something Comparible to a truck motor. The exaust has been changed, it has straight pipes with flowmaster resonators, the odometer reads 200,000 miles, but the car is unbeleivably powerfu, the previous owner (my best friend) thinks that the motor has possibly been changed. and it says 350 on the little tag.

Thanks
Quinn

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by woodman13:
All this is great....except like it was mentioned earlier...look at the engine cast # to know for sure. Trunk lid could be changed, rad cover could be changed, exhaust is probally changed. And if it is a 9C1 4.3 it has all the stuff(G80, dual exhaust, coolers,...blah blah) that make these cars fun; and a motor swap/4.3 to 5.7 could have happened in 1998 by some mechanic who worked on the cop car and thought the engine was a "vette motor".

I just bought a 1994 Caprice that 4-5 guys on this board thought was a wrecked Taxi and said stay away from it because of the vin #(P). After giving $2100 for it and driving it from New York to Texas I ran the numbers on the engine after seeing the aluminum heads on the so called "4.3 wrecked Taxi" to find it was a corvette LT-1 that someone put in in place of the 4.3....
If the trunk lid was changed, the SPID label would have a different VIN than the rest of the car. And, as mentioned, an original L99 9C1 would NOT have dual exhaust, and may or may not (probably not) have a G80 rear.

And just so you know, unless someone did some port work on the heads and changed out the Y-body cam, your 9C1 with the Corvette LT1 is likely slower than a stock B-body iron head 9C1, all other things being equal.

But hey, I've only owned 13 9C1s, and personally seen several thousand at auction. What do I know?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow I am
, why don't you bring one of your 13 9C1's to the track in Houston and we can race heads up for titles.

Rules.....heads up racing, must be driven to the track with current texas registration and inspection and be in your name,(makes title transfer eaisier for me) and must be driven by you!

I am free the second weekend in November and I will drive 215 miles to put the woop on ya!

Put up or shut up!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by woodman13:
Wow I am
, why don't you bring one of your 13 9C1's to the track in Houston and we can race heads up for titles.

Rules.....heads up racing, must be driven to the track with current texas registration and inspection and be in your name,(makes title transfer eaisier for me) and must be driven by you!

I am free the second weekend in November and I will drive 215 miles to put the woop on ya!

Put up or shut up!
Hmm, where did this whole racing debate come from? This thread is about someone who wants to buy a B-Body with an LT1. You seem to like to make leaps without thinking. First off, nobody put down you or your car, so why are you getting defensive? Secondly, as was stated, if you have a STOCK F-body LT1 in a B-body, it will be slower than a STOCK B-body LT1 in a B-body. The difference would be so minimal that in truth it would be a drivers race, and have nothing to do with the cars. That said, your attitude suggests you are quick to pull the trigger -- get many red lights?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
quote:
-------------------------------------------------
Wow I am , why don't you bring one of your 13 9C1's to the track in Houston and we can race heads up for titles.

Put up or shut up!
-------------------------------------------------
Dang talk about alittle touchy
I don't see where VinGuy was trying to offend you, but rather point out a fact about the engine that has been swapped in yor car

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.