Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I posted this in the Fleetwood section and got a couple responses (thanks Cletus284), but I want to make absolutely sure before I buy a set.

My son has a 94 Fleetwood, are the front upper and lower control arms the same as on the B-Body? I think they are, but want to make sure. He wants to get a set to chrome and beef them up (low rider style).

Thanks.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I wouldn't chrome a set of control arms. Chroming induces nitrogen embrittelment into steel. Fine for dress up items, bad juju for structural items. A couple of years ago, Galpin Ford restored an Ed Roth car that had a chrome frame under it. When they got it apart, they found the frame was cracked in multiple places. That was with a lightweight fiberglass body on it. Imagine what would happen in a 2 1/2 ton Fleetwood. Just my .02.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand what you are saying, but people chrome control arms all the time, not sure if anyone has ever had that happen to them. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
362 Posts
To answer your original question: yes, they are the same.

On chroming: Most of the ones I see that are chromed are on street rods, most of which are fairly light weight, say less then 3400lbs, which is significantely lighter then a caprice @ 4000 or a Fleetwood @ maybe 4500. Less stress on the arms, also not driven as much as most of our cars. Most of the time, though, the street rod guys are running fully polished high chromoly stainless steel arms. No cracking problems and they look nice. I'm not trying to talk you out of doing it, I just want to make sure you have all of the information to make an informed decision.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I understand what you are saying, but people chrome control arms all the time, not sure if anyone has ever had that happen to them. Thanks for the info.
I have chromed several set of upper and lower control arms with nary an issue....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts