Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have an LT1 caprice wagon, and am looking at ways to improve the handling, especially stability when towing.

I was thinking about BMR rear arms, but ran across a full set of rear bushings made by Energy suspension. Yeah, I know, they're a PITA, but they're cheap.

Why does eveyone get rear arms? Are they hat much better?

Thanks,

Jon

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Putting good bushings in stock LCAs would be like... well, can't think of a good analogy, but it would not be very effective.

The stock arms have a lot of flex in them, and if you try to take the flex out(boxing), you'll wind up with cracked or broken arms and it's pretty ineffective anyway.

Main reason people get LCAs is to be able to mount a heavier bar without having the LCAs fail. They also locate the axle better.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well if you were NEVER going to put any sort of rear sway bar on the car I think you would find the Energy susp bushings to help a noticeable amount, especially dealing with the "wiggle woggle of the diff moving sideways.
With no rear bar the lower arms are not subjected to bending loads and the fact that they can twist is not an issue because their job is fore to aft location. Yes they will twist as the chassis rolls but as long as they are allowed to over their entire length they don’t seem to suffer.
Now that being said I believe adding a rear sway bar makes a substantial difference to the handling and stability of the wagon.
So if a rear bar is even remotely in your mind plan on different lower arms.

Personally I have ES bushings in factory upper arms, 2x3 rectangular lower arms similar to Hotchkis, and a Hotchkis rear bar.
Regards, Gerry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts