Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does the converter clutch / trans cooler line temp switch work?

It disables lockup correct?

Can that temp switch be diabled?

Help plz :)

TAD

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what do you mean?

and what if it is grounded out or broken?

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mine is unpluged and I
discontinued the sensor & tee..
it is supposed to lock the converter when it gets too hot but what I have read it comes on too late to save the transmission
are you getting a dtc90?

Yes I'm getting DTC90 in the datamaster transmission screen

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Tad, are you running a high stall Edge? Try running a better converter and the lockup issues might just go away.

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Code 90- Transmission TCC solenoid fault. Check TCC circuit for opens or grounds, check solenoid for proper resistance of 20-40 ohms
look like the pan is coming off agin

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tad, are you running a high stall Edge? Try running a better converter and the lockup issues might just go away.
You got any proof that Edge is NOT the better converter?

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
I had a 3800 (really a 4500) Edge with all kinds of slipping and lockup problems with a manual 700r4. I replaced it with a 3200 Vigilante that stalled at 3600 behind my engine. All the issues were gone and the driveability went from somewhat streetable to great. Granted, it did not hit the tires as hard.

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
Seen SEVERAL cases where Edge was bashed based solely on dyno results and the bashers never managed to better their ETs with the "better" converters. :confused: Maybe the "problem" was too much faith in the dyno.

Beyond that, reality is that the good converter shops are constantly doing R&D and buying a converter today from any of them will get you a better unit than you got a year ago.

I am not saying anything bad about any converter shops here, I would not hesitiate to use Edge, Yank, Vig, or it recently came to my attention that ATI is finally making a lockup 9.5 for the 4L60E.

I happen to use Edge and 1.53 short times from a street car suggest it works just fine. If anything I have trouble keeping the tranny warm enough in fall. I actually put a piece of cardboard on the tranny cooler.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
I have had experience with all of them except ATI. Edge converters seem to be most efficient at full throttle in the lower rpm range that cannot be seen on the dyno. This of course translates to hard hitting launches which equals good e/t. In my case it hit too hard for the street. I could not floor the car on drag radials on the street until the middle of the second gear or so.

At the higher rpms the Edge could not hold lockup and slipped more than any other converter. I never had issues with transmission temperatures (had a gauge) but it definitely caused driveability issues. It was not anything very drastic that people who are only running Edge would be too concerned about but it makes a big difference for a street car and high rpm power.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Agree with Dmitry.
I had a Edge 3000 with a bolt on car it was great.
Then a 3800 with the heads and cam, same problems.
Went too a Yank 3600 and saw the same as Dmitry.

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
Dwayne. I did go faster and more consistent with a Yank over and Edge. I've run two Edges and two Yanks in my years. I will not go into detail what the issues are with Edge but feel free to PM me for info. PM Handyman (John) also to get his take.

I also had a lockup failure with one of my Edge TC's and never really got a straight answer to what the issue was (the bigger issue).

Check my sig. King of the Hill and a SEIRS with a Yank TC...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts